Douglas Hall & the Great Panic
1967-1968 would later be known as the year of the Great Panic. A tight construction schedule for the new dormitory-dining commons building, paired with heavy rains, forced the postponement of the fall term. Staff and faculty worked in the mud to install water mains and enclose the former swimming pool, converting it into a reservoir.
Classes finally began on October 15th, and the new Student Centre – named in honour of the province’s first premier, Sir James Douglas - was dedicated on the 5th of November, 1967. Dr. Arnold T. Olson gave the dedicatory address, and architect Doug Cowin brought greetings.
As a result of the delayed beginning of the fall term, classes continued through May, with students writing final exams in June, 1968.
Calvin B. Hanson. On the Raw Edge of Faith, pp. 155-158
[TWU Archives: Pillar Yearbook Collection, 1968, pp. 52-53]
An architectural drawing of the new student centre, ca. 1967.
[TWU Archives: 1998-01-0654]
Douglas Hall under construction, 1967.
[TWU Archives: 1998-01-1105]
Dedication ceremony program, November 5, 1967.
[TWU Archives: F 37 B 1 File 18]
Smiling students pose in front of the newly completed student centre, 1968.
[TWU Archives: 1998-01-1048]
Lining up for a meal in the Douglas cafeteria, 197-.
[TWU Archives: 1998-01-1004]
The mail room (later known as The Box), located just down the stairs from the new cafeteria, 196-.
[TWU Archives: 1998-01-1915]