Trinity Western University

1980

A Name for the Chapel

Since its doors first opened, students had always referred to the building at the heart of campus simply as “The Chapel.”

On March 1, 1980 it was rededicated, and officially named the Calvin B. Hanson Chapel in honour of Trinity’s first president.

  • #

    Presidential Portrait

    President Neil Snider and past-president Cal Hanson in 1980 unveiling a portrait of Hanson which hung in the Chapel until 2006.

    view image

    [TWU Archives: 1998-01-0666]

  • #

    Dedication

    Order of Service for the Chapel Dedication Program, 1980. The back of the program reads “Known as the ‘WMS Building,’ the Chapel has been a special project of the Women’s Missionary Society of the EFCA, which raised funds for its construction in 1962 and for its remodeling in 1978.”

    view pdf

    [TWU Archives: F 2 B 22 File 30]

  • #

    EFCA Letter

    Letter from EFCA President Thomas A. McDill, on the occasion of the Chapel Dedication; dated September 26, 1979.

    view pdf

    [TWU Archives: F 2 B 22 File 30]

  • #

    Renovations

    In 1979, the chapel’s foyer and balcony were extended, and the wooden pews were replaced with yellow folding lecture-hall-type seats.

    view image

    [TWU Archives: 1998-01-1092]

back to top