Trinity Western University

Types of Students

Transfer Students

Transfer students must present the same application forms and high school transcript as those applying for first year standing. In addition, an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended must be submitted. Additional information such as course descriptions/syllabi may be requested from the Admissions Office to assist in the evaluation. Students may find out what courses have been transferred from their college or university by visiting to access TWU’s transfer credit database. Courses that cannot be found in the database will require an evaluation. Syllabi and/or course descriptions are required for the evaluation process. Please note that all course descriptions/syllabi must be from the year in which the course was taken. An official transfer credit assessment will be completed upon submission of a completed application.

Transfer students may be eligible for admission to the University upon completion of one semester of full-time studies (12 credits/hours or more) in a university transfer program, if they have also met the high school requirements in their home province. Admission will be based upon achievement in this post-secondary course work and previous college or high school work. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C) is required on all post-secondary course work. Students who have completed a minimum of 27 credits/hours of course work may be admitted solely on the basis of their performance in post-secondary course work. A high school transcript is still required as part of the application as the Admissions Office requires a complete academic history of all students.

The University reserves the right to accept only such courses as comply with the academic standards established by TWU and with the requirements for graduation. See Graduation Requirements section in this Calendar.

The maximum number of semester hours accepted for transfer credit from various post-secondary institutions is 75. Individual maximums are as follows:

Universities and Community Colleges –

A maximum of 75 sem. hrs. transfer credit will be given for all acceptable courses with a passing grade (D and higher).

Note: Some required courses in Business, Education, and Nursing programs require a minimum letter grade above that of a pass. In cases where a lower grade than the minimum required is achieved, general elective credit may be granted and the course must be retaken at Trinity Western University to meet graduation requirements.

Bible colleges accredited with the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) –

A maximum of 60 sem. hrs. of appropriate courses of which a maximum of 24 sem. hrs. may be biblical studies and 36 sem. hrs. may be liberal arts courses. Transfer credit will be given for all acceptable courses completed with a C- grade (60 per cent) or higher.

Bible college courses that have been articulated with a public university may be assigned credit for these courses above the maximum totals indicated.

Applicants from Bible colleges with candidate status with the ABHE are eligible for a maximum of 48 sem. hrs. of appropriate courses of which 24 sem. hrs. may be biblical studies and 24 sem. hrs. may be liberal arts courses. Transfer credit will be given for all acceptable courses completed with a C- grade (60 per cent) or higher.

Applicants from Bible colleges not accredited with the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) should not expect to receive transfer credit for work completed at Bible college except by appeal and careful review by the University. (Such a review would normally include evaluation of course syllabi and instructor credentials.) No credit will be given for work completed in practical discipleship training programs.

Note: Due to teacher certification requirements, TWU’s Teacher Education program can accept Bible college transfer credit only if the Bible college is a fully accredited member of the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) or is a member of a recognized regional college and university accreditation body. Students must still meet the normal Education degree and other TWU degree graduation requirements. Transfer credit from colleges with candidate or unaccredited status will not be accepted.

Institutes of Technology and Colleges of Applied Arts –

Courses will be considered on a course-by-course basis where a minimum grade of B- has been obtained. A maximum of 45 sem. hrs. of credit will be awarded for such course work. Course outlines/syllabi are normally required to facilitate this process.

Note: Students transferring from the British Columbia Institute of Technology may transfer up to 75 sem. hrs. of course work to TWU. Courses eligible for transfer must have equivalency and have a passing grade (no less than a D).

Transfer Credit Limits –

Students will be able to transfer upper level courses taken at other institutions subject to the following limits (Note: Any exceptions to the major, concentration, and minor upper level limits stipulated below must be recommended by the relevant faculty or school dean and approved by the Vice Provost. See the department concerned for further details):

  1. Courses in student’s major field: 24 to 27 upper level sem. hrs. are required; a maximum of 9 of these can be taken at institutions other than Trinity Western University.
  2. Courses in student’s field of concentration: 12 upper level sem. hrs. are required; a maximum of 6 of these can be taken at institutions other than Trinity Western University.
  3. Courses in student’s minor field: 9 to 12 upper level sem. hrs. are required; a maximum of 3 of these can be taken at institutions other than Trinity Western University.
  4. Courses outside of student’s major, concentration, or minor:
    • No limit to the transferability of appropriate upper level courses for elective credit, subject to the policies on (1) residency and (2) limits in major, concentration, or minor fields;
    • Notwithstanding the above, no Trinity Western University baccalaureate degree can be earned in a major (or general degree in minors) that the University does not offer;
    • A student may not declare a major, concentration, or minor in any field not offered as such by the University (e.g., engineering);
    • Students who have transferred to Trinity Western University from other post-secondary institutions with at least 57 sem. hrs. of transfer credit may be eligible for adjustment in the core requirements (see Graduation Requirements section).

Block Transfer for British Columbia Associate of Arts or Science Degrees —

Trinity Western University guarantees 60 sem. hrs. of transfer credit to students who enter TWU with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree that is awarded by a recognized college, university college, or university. Unless an institutional agreement has been established, students must still meet all 100 and 200 level course requirements for specific degree programs and this may require students to take more than 122 sem. hrs. to earn a Trinity Western degree. It is advised that transfer students plan their college course selection well in advance of transfer to TWU to help ensure courses meet graduation requirements. Courses for which no equivalent TWU course exists will be given unassigned credit at the lower level.

International Transfer Credit Evaluations —

Transfer credit from international schools must be assessed by an external international credit evaluation agency. Please note that all transcripts sent to an international credit evaluation agency must be official documentation. International evaluation reports that are based on unofficial transcripts will not be accepted for transfer credit. To avoid delays in receiving transfer credit, students should submit an international credit evaluation report during the admission process. The cost is determined by the agency. TWU recommends the International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) through BCIT, a member of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada. This agency conducts evaluations for several British Columbia universities. They may be contacted at Students are welcome to use any evaluation agency that is a member of the Alliance of Credential Services of Canada.

back to top

This page contains official TWU academic program information.