Trinity Western University


Applying for Graduation:

Why should I apply for graduation?
Submitting an application for graduation allows the Office of the Registrar to collect different information from you to help us serve you in your final year of study at TWU. Information on the application helps with the planning of the graduation ceremony, the processing of a Degree Audit and more.

When should I apply for graduation?
Applications for graduation should be submitted by April 30 - one year prior to your anticipated graduation date. Late applications will be accepted until January 31 for graduation the following April. A fee of $50 will be charged for late applications.

How do I apply for graduation?
You may apply for graduation online Please be sure to submit a paper copy of your program checklist to the Office of the Registrar in order to complete your application.

Where can I find my program checklist and do I need to fill it out?
Program Checklists are available on the Advising website. Please check off all the courses you've already taken and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

Why do I need to hand in a completed checklist with my application?
When you apply for graduation, the Office of the Registrar begins the process of reviewing your academic record and degree progress. Since some programs offer various combinations of courses that can be taken to meet degree requirements it is helpful for the Office of the Registrar to have a copy of your degree plan (and the courses you took to fulfill that plan) to ensure that this review is as accurate as possible.

If I am not planning on attending the ceremony, do I still need to apply for graduation?
Yes. You will not be able to receive your degree without the Office of the Registrar performing a Graduation Audit of your requirements. Since this process is necessary, applications are required.

Degree Requirements:

I haven’t applied for graduation yet. How do I know what courses I need to take in order to graduate?
It's easy! All the tools you need to plan out each semester's registration are available online! All you need is a program checklist that takes you step by step through your requirements. If you can't remember which courses you've already taken, you can download a copy of your unofficial transcript from the student portal. If you need more specific information on your program requirements, make sure you read about it in your Academic Calendar. Your Academic Advisor can also be a valuable resource in helping you plan your degree.

How do I know which academic requirements to follow for my degree?
You are expected to follow the program requirements of your year of admission to the University. However, if your program requirements change after your initial admission, you can choose to follow the new requirements. Please let the Office of the Registrar know if you plan to adopt the new requirements when you apply for graduation.

I need to take a Natural Science course. What will fulfill my lab requirement and what will fulfill my non-lab requirement?
A list of Natural Science courses that will fulfill the NATS requirement is available in the online Academic Calendar. It states that students may choose from Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, or certain specified Physical Geography courses. At least 3 sem. hrs. must be a laboratory science course (not including MATH or CMPT). Courses fulfilling this laboratory science requirement include (but are not limited to) BIOL 113, 114; CHEM 101, 103, 104, 111, 112; GEOG 121, 131, 220, 320*; GEOL 109; and PHYS 111, 112. *You can find this information in any Academic Calendar - under Academic Information - Graduation Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees - CORE Requirements.

*Only GEOG 121, 131, 220, 320, 321 and 323 fulfill the Academic Core's NATS requirement. Of those courses, only GEOG121 fulfils the Academic Core's NATS laboratory science course requirement.

Can I use PHIL 210 or PHIL 310 for both my RELS Christianity and Culture and my PHIL Core requirements?
While PHIL 210 and PHIL 310 may be counted toward either the PHIL or RELS Christianity and Culture core requirement, the courses cannot be counted toward both. See the Advising website for more details.

What course equivalent can I use for IDIS 400?
A list of IDIS 400 equivalents is available on the TWU Advising website. See the Advising website for more details.

What requirements do I need to meet to be eligible for the ceremony in April?
In order to be eligible for the ceremony in April, you will need to meet the following criteria:
Students must achieve an overall GPA of 2.0, plus other relevant GPA requirements for specific departments by the December prior to graduation.
Students must show that they will have the required semester hours completed for the degree by April (i.e., 122 for B.A., B.B.A., B.H.K., B.Sc., B.Sc.N. degree and 134 for all honours degrees).
Students who apply for April graduation after January 31 of the same calendar year will not be allowed to participate in graduation exercises until the following April, a year later.

What does my total GPA need to be so that I am eligible for graduation?
The minimum GPA requirement must be met by the December prior to the commencement ceremonies. The requirement varies according to your program of study. Normally, the required GPA for students in a BA degree is a cumulative 2.00 and a 2.00 also in your specific area of study. Please see the Academic Calendar for your program's GPA requirement.
Minimum GPA average for courses in major: 2.00
Minimum GPA average for courses in minors for students taking an undergraduate degree in general studies: 1.70 in each minor; 2.00 for the combined total of the two minors.
For honours degrees, the minimum cumulative GPA is 2.70, with a minimum cumulative average of 3.00 for all courses in the honours discipline.
Minimum GPA average for a Bachelor of Business Administration is 2.50.
Minimum GPA average for a Bachelor of Business Administration Honours is 3.30 with an overall cumulative GPA of 3.00.

I have a Degree Audit but my listed degree is wrong, why?
The degree information listed on your Degree Audit is based on your declared degree as of the processing date of your Degree Audit. If it is out of date, please submit a Change of Major/Advisor request through the Student Portal.

Is my Degree Audit updated automatically when I add or drop classes?
Your Degree Audit is only updated once a semester.

I think my Graduation Audit is inaccurate. Who can I talk to?
If you find any discrepancies between the Degree Audit and your own records please try to determine the source of the discrepancy (e.g., undocumented exceptions to graduation, unprocessed transfer credit, missing grades, etc.). ·In the case of an undocumented exception to graduation please fill out the Exception to Graduation form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. In the case of unprocessed transfer credit please ensure that an official transcript of those courses is sent to the Transfer Credit office in Mattson Centre for assessment. For all other inquiries please submit your question/comment through the Graduation Helpdesk which is available through the Student Portal.

What is double counting?
Students may use one cross-listed core requirement course as a “double function” once. For example, they may use SAMC 370/PHIL 370 to fulfill both the Fine Arts and the Philosophy core requirements. When a core requirement is met as part of another program requirement (e.g., when the Natural Sciences core requirement is met as part of a Biology major), the student is deemed to have met that core requirement without having to take additional courses. Please note that there are certain courses that cannot be double counted.

Can I take a different course than is required for my degree and have it count towards my degree?
In certain situations, a student can be exempt from a program requirement. In order to change your degree requirements, an “Exception to Graduation Requirements” form must be approved by your Program Chair and Faculty Dean. This form is located in the Office of the Registrar. These exceptions are determined on a case by case basis and are at the discretion of the Faculty.

How do I get my diploma?
If you complete your degree in the summer semester, you are required to submit a Completion Verification Form once your final grades have been submitted to notify the graduation office of their completion. Upon receipt of this form, a final audit of your degree requirements will take place. The conferral date for your degree will be the next conferral date after your last requirement was completed (conferral dates are May 31 and December 31). Your diploma will be printed and available shortly after that date.

I will complete all my requirements to graduate in April and I want to make sure my diploma goes to the right address.
Please confirm your Permanent Home Address on the Student Portal and make any necessary changes. Alternately, you can confirm your mailing address with the Office of the Registrar in person or by email to

back to top