The document below outlines some important privacy information that family members, friends, acquaintances need to know before calling about a student or calling on behalf of a student. This stuff matters, so please read it carefully!
The University is not able to discuss a student's application, record or experience with a parent, guardian, or family member without the student's permission in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) legislation. Student records are treated by TWU in much the same way a person’s medical or financial information is treated by a doctor’s office or a bank: as private, personal information.
Personal Information and Protection of Privacy:
The personal information received through a student’s course registration and tuition payment - including their name, address, residence, course schedule, grades, or fees is subject to the Personal Information and Protection of Privacy Act (PIPA). It is not released to persons outside the University - including family members or friends - without the students’ written consent, unless permitted or required by law. This consent is normally given during the Express Check-in process at the beginning of the Fall Semester each year.
If the student has chosen to restrict access to their information:
- University staff are not permitted to confirm or deny if this person has applied for, or is currently a student at TWU.
- Even if calling on behalf of a student, their family member(s) or friend(s) will not be provided information regarding the status of - or information about - their application, courses, grades, fees or other related information.
- If friends or family members don't know or forget their student's contact information, or amount owing for tuition fees and request this information from our staff, university staff will not provide it.
If the student has given permission to release their information:
- Our staff may be able to talk with you about their application, course and payment information, and fees.
If students want to change their permissions:
- They can change their permissions by signing a form available in the Office of the Registrar at TWU (in the Mattson Centre). The form is also available online. Privacy Release of Information Form.