47 international refereed articles (plus 1 submitted and 2 in preparation)
4 book chapters
1 book editor
67 conference papers (19 invited papers)
26 seminar and lectures
(a) International Refereed Articles: 47
47. Chacko Jobichen, Aaron Zefrin Fernandis, Adrian Velazquez-Campoy, Ka Yin Leung, Yu-Keung Mok, Markus R Wenk & J Sivaraman.2009. Identification and characterization of the lipid binding property of GrlR, a locus of enterocyte effacement regulator. Biochem J (in press)
46. Yih Wan Tan, Hong Bing Yu, Ka Yin Leung, Jayaraman Sivaraman & Yu-Keung Mok. 2008. Structure of AscE and induced burial regions in AscE and AscG upon formation of the chaperone needle-subunit complex of type III secretion system in Aeromonas hydrophila. Protein Science 17:1748-1760. Epub 2008 Jul 28.
45. Silvia Vilches, Markus Wilhelms, Hong Bing Yu, Ka Yin Leung, Juan M. Tomas & Susana Merino. 2008. Aeromonas hydrophila AH-3 AexT is an ADP-ribosylating toxin secreted through the type III secretion system. Microb Pathog 44:1-12. Epub 2007 July 1.
43. Jobichen Chacko, Li Mo, Yerushalmi Gal, Tan Yih Wan Yvonne, Yu-Keung Mok, Ilan Rosenshine, Leung Ka Yin & J. Sivaraman. 2007. Structure of GrlR and the implication of its EDED motif in mediating the regulation of type III secretion system in enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) PLoS Pathogens 3:e69.
42. Zheng, Jun., Nan Li, Yuen Peng Tan, J. Sivaraman, Yu-Keung Mok, Z.L. Mo & Ka Yin Leung. 2007. EscC is a chaperone for the Edwardsiella tarda type III secretion system translocon components, EseB and EseD. Microbiology 153:1953-1962.
41. Yu, Hong Bing, Rasvinder Kaur, Simin Lim, Xian Hui Wang & Ka Yin Leung. 2007. Characterization of extracellular proteins produced by Aeromonas hydrophila AH-1. Proteomics 7:436-449.
40. Li, Mo, Ilan Rosenshine, Hong Bing Yu, Chen Nadler, Erez Mills, Choy Leong Hew & Ka Yin Leung. 2006. Identification and characterization of NleI, a new non-LEE-encoded effector of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli (EPEC). Microbes and Infection 8:2890-2898.
39. Tan, Y.P., J. Zheng, S.L. Tung, I. Rosenshine & K.Y. Leung. 2005. Role of type III secretion in Edwardsiella tarda virulence. Microbiology 151:2301-2313.
38. Zheng, Jun, S.L. Tung & K.Y. Leung. 2005. Regulation of a type III and a putative secretion system (EVP) in Edwardsiella tarda by EsrC is under the control of a two-component system, EsrA-EsrB. Infect Immun 73:4127-4137.
37. H. B. Yu, Y. L. Zhang, Y. L. Lau, F. Yao, S. Vilches, S. Merino, J. M. Tomas, S. P. Howard & K.Y. Leung. 2005. Identification and characterization of putative virulence genes and gene clusters in Aeromonas hydrophila PPD134/91. Appl Environ Microbiol 71:4469-4477.
36. Jing Zhao, Hua Zhu, Chui Hong Wong, Ka Yin Leung & W.S. Fred Wong. 2005. Increased lungkine and chitinase levels in allergic airway inflammation: a proteomics approach. Proteomics 5:2799-2807.
35. Li, M., I. Rosenshine, S.L. Tung, X.H. Wang, D. Friedberg, C.L. Hew & K.Y. Leung. 2004.Comparative proteomics analysis of extracellular proteins of enterohemorrhagic and enteropathogenic Escherichia coli and their ihf and ler mutants. Appl Environ Microbiol 70:5274-5282.
34. Srinivasa Rao, P.S., Y. Yamada, Y.P. Tan & K.Y. Leung. 2004. Use of proteomics to identify novel virulence determinants that are required for Edwardsiella tarda pathogenesis. Mol Microbiol 53:573-586.
33. Yu, H.B., P.S. Srinivasa Rao, H.C. Lee, S. Vilches, S. Merino, J.M. Tomas & K.Y. Leung. 2004. A Type III secretion system is required for Aeromonas hydrophila AH-1 pathogenesis. Infect Immun 72:1248-1256.
32. Srinivasa Rao, P.S., Y. Yamada & K.Y. Leung. 2003. A major catalase (KatB) that is required for resistance to H2O2 and phagocyte-mediated killing in Edwardsiella tarda. Microbiology 149:2635-2644.
30. Srinivasa Rao, P.S., T.M. Lim & K.Y. Leung. 2003. A functional genomics approach to the identification of virulence genes involved in Edwardsiella tarda pathogenesis. Infect Immun 71:1343-1351.
29. Tan, Y.P., Q. Lin, X.H. Wang, S. Joshi, C.L. Hew & K.Y. Leung. 2002. Comparative proteomic analysis of extracellular proteins of Edwardsiella tarda. Infect Immun 70:6475-6480.
28. Zhang, Y.L., E. Arakawa & K.Y. Leung. 2002. Novel Aeromonas hydrophila PPD130/91 genes involved in O-antigen and capsule biosynthesis. Infect Immun 70:2326-2335.
27. Srinivasa Rao, P.S., T.M. Lim & K.Y. Leung. 2001. Opsonized virulent Edwardsiella tarda strains are able to adhere to and survive and replicate within fish phagocytes but fail to stimulate reactive oxygen intermediates. Infect Immun 69:5689-5697.
26. Mathew, J.A., Y.P. Tan, P.S. Srinivasa Rao, T.M. Lim & K.Y. Leung. 2001. Edwardsiella tarda mutants defective in siderophore production, motility, serum resistance and catalase activity. Microbiology 147:449-457.
25. Ling, S.H.M., X.H. Wang, T.M. Lim & K. Y. Leung. 2001. Green fluorescent protein-tagged Edwardsiella tarda reveals portal of entry in fish. FEMS Microbiol Lett 194:239-243.
24. Zhang, Y.L., C.T. Ong & K.Y. Leung. 2000. Molecular analysis of genetic differences between virulent and avirulent strains of Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from diseased fish. Microbiology 146:999-1009.
23. Wang, X.H. & K.Y. Leung. 2000. Biochemical characterization of different types of adherence of Vibrio species to fish epithelial cells. Microbiology 146: 989-998.
22. Ling, S.H.M., X.H. Wang, L. Xie, T.M. Lim & K.Y. Leung. 2000. Use of green fluorescent protein (GFP) to study the invasion pathways of Edwardsiella tarda in in vivo and in vitro models. Microbiology 146:7-19 (with front cover picture).
21. Low, K.W., S.G. Goh, T.M. Lim, Y.M. Sin & K.Y. Leung. 1998. Actin rearrangements accompanying Aeromonas hydrophila entry into cultured fish cells. J Fish Dis 21:55-65.
20. Wang, X.H., H.L. Oon, G.W.P. Ho, W.S.F. Wong, T.M. Lim & K.Y. Leung. 1998. Internalization and cytotoxicity are important virulence mechanisms in vibrio-fish epithelial cells interactions. Microbiology 144:2987-3002 (with front cover picture).
19. Tan, E., K.W. Low, W.S.F. Wong & K.Y. Leung. 1998. Internalization of Aeromonas hydrophila by fish cells can be inhibited with a tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Microbiology 144:299-307.
18. Leung, K.Y., L.S. Wong, K.W. Low & Y.M. Sin. 1997. Mini-Tn5 induced growth- and protease- deficient mutants of Aeromonas hydrophila as live vaccines for blue gourami. Aquaculture 158:11-22.
17. Leung, K.Y., T.M. Lim, T.J. Lam & Y.M. Sin. 1996. Morphological changes in carp epithelial cells infected with Aeromonas hydrophila. J Fish Dis 19:167-174.
16. Stein, M.A., K.Y. Leung, M.B. Zwick, F. Garcia-del Portillo & B.B. Finlay. 1996. Identification of a Salmonella virulence gene required for formation of filamentous structures containing lysosomal membrane glycoproteins within epithelial cells. Mol Microbiol 20:151-164.
15. Leung, K.Y., I.V. Yeap, T.J. Lam & Y.M. Sin. 1995. Serum resistance as a good indicator for virulence in Aeromonas hydrophila strains isolated from fish in South-East Asia. J Fish Dis 18:511-518.
14. Leung, K.Y., K.W. Low, T.J. Lam & Y.M. Sin. 1995. Interaction of the fish pathogen Aeromonas hydrophila with tilapia, Oreochromis aureus (Steindachner), phagocytes. J Fish Dis 18:435-447.
13. Stein, M.A., K.Y. Leung, M.B. Zwick, F. Garcia-del Portillo & B.B. Finlay. 1994. Identification of Salmonella genes required for induction of filamentous lysosomes. J Cellular Biochem S18A:67.
12. Garcia-del Portillo, F., M.B. Zwick, K.Y. Leung & B.B. Finlay. 1994. Intracellular replication of Salmonella within epithelial cells is associated with filamentous structures containing lysosomal membrane glycoproteins. Infect Agents Dis 2:227-231.
11. Garcia-del Portillo, F., M.B. Zwick, K.Y. Leung & B.B. Finlay. 1993. Reorganization of epithelial lysosomal membrane glycoproteins caused by Salmonella intracellular replication. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90:10544-10548.
10. Leung, K.Y., S.R. Ruschkowski & B.B. Finlay. 1992. Isolation and characterization of the aadA aminoglycoside resistance gene from Salmonella choleraesuis. Mol Microbiol 6:2453-2460.
9. Finlay, B.B., K.Y. Leung, I. Rosenshine & F. Garcia-del Portillo. 1992. Salmonella interactions with the epithelial cell: A model to study the biology of intracellular parasitism. ASM News 58:486-489.
8. Leung, K.Y. & B.B. Finlay. 1991. Intracellular replication is essential for the virulence of Salmonella typhimurium.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88:11470-11474.
7. Finlay, B.B., S. Chatfield, K.Y. Leung, G. Dougan & S. Falkow. 1991. Characterization of a Salmonella choleraesuis mutant which cannot multiply within eukaryotic cells. Can J Microbiol 37:568-572.
6. Wilson, D.R., S. Chatfield, J. Betts, A. Griffiths, K.Y. Leung, G. Dougan & B.B. Finlay. 1990. Alternative methods of attenuating Salmonella species for potential vaccine use. Res Microbiol 141:827-830.
5. Leung, K.Y., B.S. Reisner & S.C. Straley. 1990. YopM inhibits platelet aggregation and is necessary for virulence of Yersinia pestis in mice. Infect Immun 58:3262-3271.
4. Price, S.B., K.Y. Leung, S.S. Brave & S.C. Straley. 1989. Molecular analysis of lcrGVH, the V antigen operon of Yersinia pestis.J Bacteriol 171:5646-5653.
3. Leung, K.Y. & S.C. Straley. 1989. The yopM gene of Yersinia pestis encodes a released protein having homology with the human platelet surface protein GP1ba. J Bacteriol 171:4623-4632.
2. Leung, K.Y. & R.M.W. Stevenson. 1988. Tn5-induced protease-deficient strains of Aeromonas hydrophila with reduced virulence for fish. Infect Immun 56:2639-2644.
1. Leung, K.Y. & R.M.W. Stevenson. 1988. Characteristics and distribution of extracellular proteases from Aeromonas hydrophila. J Gen Microbiol 134:151-160.
(b) Book Chapters: 4
1. Leung, K.Y., I. Rosenshine, F. Garcia-del Portillo, S.R. Ruschkowski & B.B. Finlay. 1992. Salmonella interactions with the host cell. In Typhoid Fever: Strategies for the 90s, selected papers from the First Asia-Pacific Symposium on Typhoid Fever, edited by T. Pang, C.L. Koh & S.D. Puthucheary. World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore. pp. 135-139.
2. Tan, Y.P., P.S. Srinivasa Rao, Y.L. Zhang, C.L. Hew & K.Y. Leung. 2003. Identification of virulence genes in bacterial fish pathogens: a genomic and proteomic approach. In Aquatic Genomics Steps Toward a Great Future, edited by N. Shimizu, T. Aoki, I. Hirono & F. Takashima. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo. pp. 340-351.
3. Tan, Y.P., P.S. Srinivasa Rao, Y. Yamada & K.Y. Leung. 2004. Use of functional genomics to identify and characterize virulence factors of Edwardsiella tarda. In Current Trends in the Study of Bacterial and Viral Fish Diseases. Molecular Aspects of Fish and Marine Biology - Vol. 3, edited by K.Y. Leung. World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore. pp. 189-203.
4. Srinivasa Rao, P.S., Y.P. Tan, J. Zheng & K.Y. Leung. 2006. Unravelling Edwardsiella tarda pathogenesis using proteomics. Chapter 14, In Microbial Proteomics - Functional Biology of Whole Organisms", edited by I. Humphery-Smith & M. Hecker. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York.
(c) Book editor
1. Current Trends in the Study of Bacterial and Viral Fish Diseases. Molecular Aspects of Fish and Marine Biology - Vol. 3, edited by K.Y. Leung. 2004. World Scientific Publishing Co, Singapore.