J.D. (Jack) Van Dyke
Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Dean, Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences
Trinity Western University
7600 Glover Road
Langley, BC V2Y 1Y1
phone: (604) 888-7511
fax: (604) 513-2018
B.Sc. (University of Alberta, 1965)
Ph.D. (University of British Columbia, 1970)
Blends of polymers, compatibilization between mixtures of polymers, and between polymers and fillers.
Currently, my research focus is on polyamide/butyl rubber systems. These polymer systems are normally incompatible; however, successful blends can be made of them under intensive mixing. We have found evidence of graft and block copolymers that have been formed during the mixing process. These serve to tie the two phases of the blend together, i.e., make them compatible with each other. The value of successfully blending polyamide and butyl rubber, and understanding the chemical and mechanical factors that make it possible, is that blends of these polymers provide relatively inexpensive materials with properties intermediate between the component homopolymers. Both of these polymers have excellent barrier characteristics (resistance to passage of solvents and gasses) that make blends of them appealing for many industrial applications. Recently, we have expanded our interest to other plastic resin/rubber systems, consisting of polypropylene and polybutylene terephthalate resins, and nitrile rubber. We also have a continued interest in preparing and testing materials that can act as compatibilizing agents between polymers and fillers (e.g. fiberglass and silica).
- J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, A. Burczyk ,"Effect Of Butyl Rubber Type On Properties Of Polyamide And Butyl Rubber Blends", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 93, 1423, 2004.
- J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, A. Burczyk, "A Study Of Dynamic Vulcanization For Polyamide-12 And Chlorobutyl Rubber" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 90, 871, 2003.
- J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, A. Burczyk, S. Duncan "Chemical Interaction In Blends Of Polyamide And Butyl Rubbers" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 89, 980, 2003.
- J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, A. Burczyk "Activation of Bifunctional Coupling Agents in Fiberglass/Polyethylene Composites by Electron Beam", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 83, 2579, 2002
- J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, A. Burczyk "Bifunctional Coupling Agents for Improved Mechanical Properties in Fiberglass/Polyethylene Composites", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 83, 2562, 2002
- World Polymer Conference (MACRO 2004), Paris, France "Solvent Resistance and Mechanical Properties in Thermoplastic Elastomer Blends Prepared by Dynamic Vulcanization", July 6, 2004 by J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, and A. Burczyk.
- World Polymer Conference (MACRO 2002), Beijing, China "A Study of Properties of Polyamide/Butyl Rubber Blends", July 9, 2002 by J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, and A. Burczyk.
- World Polymer Conference (MACRO 2000), Warsaw, Poland, "Novel Nylon/Butyl Rubber Blends", July 7, 2000 by J.D. Van Dyke, M. Gnatowski, A. Koutsandreas, and A. Burczyk.