TRACK COACH SUE NORTHEY TO HELP LEAD CANADA AT U23 NACAC CHAMPIONSHIPS

TRACK (ANNOUNCEMENT)
SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2010
COACHING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRACK COACH SUE NORTHEY TO HELP LEAD CANADA AT U23 NACAC CHAMPIONSHIPS

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
Trinity Western University track and cross-country technical director Sue Northey is in Miramar, Fla. this weekend (July 9-11) after being appointed as the Canadian endurance coach for the NACAC (North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association) U23 Championships.

The recently hired Northey – who will help lead the Spartans this fall in their return to competition at the CIS level in middle distance track and cross-country – was also a coach for Team B.C. at the Canadian World Junior Trials in Moncton, N.B. this summer and will act in a similar role at the Canadian Track and Field Championships July 29-August 1.

"Sue’s recent appointments are most deserving,” said TWU Director of Athletics Murray Hall. “She is a very gifted coach. She’s really putting the Fraser Valley in the limelight while serving as both a BC and National coach and that’s fantastic. It also exemplifies how widely recognized our Spartan coaching staff has become. Sue joins several other Trinity Western coaches in serving as provincial and national leaders."

This is Northey’s second tour of duty as a national coach for the U23 NACAC Championships – she also was a part of the Canadian contingent in 2006 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic – and this year's opportunity is yet another chance to add valuable experience to her repertoire.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to be with, and learn from, other national coaches,” said Northey, who also coaches with the Valley Royals Track and Field Club. “There are some great athletes that I’m working with and it’s really cool to be a part of such a high level program.”

“When I’m with the national team, I’m more of a facilitator. I’m there to help the team and the individuals maintain their routines. I’ve made contact with the athletes personal coaches and I’m here to help our athletes in their final preparations. I talk to them before the races and just try to keep them calm and lessen their nerves.”

Between the business of her provincial and national ventures, Northey will also be attending the BC Summer Games in Langley July 22-25 where she will have a few of her own athletes competing.

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 13 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen