SPARTANS SIGN HIGH-CALIBRE TRIATHLETE

CROSS COUNTRY AND SWIM
TUESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2010
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN HIGH-CALIBRE TRIATHLETE

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
Trinity Western will have a world class age-group triathlete in the fold this spring as Alison Farkash will officially join both the Spartans swim and track teams starting in January.

This past fall Farkash, who hails from Vermilion, Alta., trained with both of TWU’s local affiliate clubs in the Valley Royals Track & Field Team and the Langley Olympian Swim Club, so it was a natural choice for the JR Robson High School graduate to come transfer from the University of the Fraser Valley – a school that doesn’t have track or swimming – to Trinity Western.

Farkash was attending UFV for the past year and a half and previous to that was at Columbia Bible College, but this will be her first year competing in swimming and track at the CIS level.

“Alison is a good swimmer who works very hard and is really improving,” said TWU swim coach Brian Metcalfe. “Although she isn’t all that experienced in competitive swim meets, she is a very good triathlete and is joining our team in an effort to improve on her swimming for her triathlons.  Her hard work and dedication will definitely be an asset to TWU.”

While Farkash will be competing in the pool for the first time with university athletes, she has a little more familiarity with the local competition she’ll be facing on the track. Farkash ran in four of the five cross country races Trinity Western competed in this year – the only one she didn’t run in was the CIS Championship – and would have been the top finishing Spartan woman in all four races, including a first place finish at the Whistler Spirit Run, had she been running for TWU.

“Alison brings a great deal of energy and enthusiasm with her to Trinity Western,” said TWU cross country and track coach Susan Northey. “She is dedicated and talented but is still very "green" when it comes to competing in cross country and track.  With a little race experience she will flourish.  

“Her work ethic and determination is contagious and she inspires those around her to work harder.  Her strength is her willingness to push through pain and do what it takes to improve.  She is in touch with her body and knows when to push and when to hold back.”

Although Farkash will be competing in swimming and track independent from one another at TWU, her true strength is when she puts it all together, along with cycling, in Olympic distance triathlon racing.

Last year, Farkash finished second in her age group and 13th overall in the Kelowna Apple Triathlon – a race that acts as the Canadian national championship. She also finished second overall in the Vancouver Stanley Park Triathlon and, at the Alberta provincials, finished second in her age group and fifth overall with a personal best time of 2:23:41.

Her time at the Kelowna Apple Triathlon (2:24:01) qualified in her age group for the 2011 Triathlon World Championships in Beijing, China Sept. 10-11 but hasn’t committed to going yet.

For now, Farkash, who will be studying Human Kinetics upon her arrival at TWU, is just happy to be a Spartan and is focused on the chance to compete at the CIS level.

“I get to race two out of my three triathlon events get the best quality coaching, be mentored by Christian professors as I develop my sport mission statement, and I get to hang out with the beautiful people on the swim and run team,” Farkash said.

The Spartans track team’s next race, and Farkash’s first as a Spartan, is Jan. 15, when the team will compete in the University of Washington Indoor Preview.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen