SCOTTISH STAR SPRINTER JOINS SPARTANS

TRACK & FIELD
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 20, 2011
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SCOTTISH STAR SPRINTER JOINS SPARTANS

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
The Trinity Western track and field team took a huge step forward Wednesday with the signing of Calum Innes, who comes to Langley already one of the best sprinters in all of Scotland.

The 20-year-old from Bearsden, Glasgow, whose specialty is sprinting and hurdles but could also represent Trinity Western in long jump and in the relays, is already an accomplished sprinter on the national and international stage and will immediately be a contender for medals at both the Canada West and CIS championships.

“Having Calum Innes commit to Trinity Western is great news for this young track and field program,” said Laurier Primeau, the Spartans track and field and cross country head coach. “In our early days we have already secured the kind of cornerstone athlete that every university needs.  His range on the track demonstrates that he will be able to contribute in the sprints, hurdles and relays in a major way.  Further, he has long jumped 6.79 metres and high jumped 1.86 metres.  Not only does Calum have tremendous versatility on the field of play, but he also has the potential to add to the leadership of this team.”

Innes, who graduated from Boclair Academy, has a personal best of 8.1i in the 60m hurdles, which would have tied him for the top spot at the most recent CIS championships. In the 60m sprint, he has a personal best time of 7.06i, which he achieved this year twice, at the Scottish Athletics Open and the Senior Scottish Championships. And he has a personal best in the long jump pit of 6.79m.

On the long track, Innes has a PB of 10.67w in the 100m event, 21.96 in the 200m event and 14.16 in the 110m hurdles.

At the most recent U23 English Championships, Innes finished fifth in the 100m sprint and sixth in the 110m hurdles. He also finished second at the Scottish Championships in the 110m hurdles.

“I’m really excited to be coming to Trinity Western,” said Innes, who plans to study human kinetics at Trinity Western. “Everything is new. I’ve never been to university before and just to be in this environment and this close campus…and to continue training is just a great opportunity.”

Internationally, Innes was the anchor leg of Scotland’s 4x100m relay team that raced in a 2010 Crystal Diamond League event, finishing third in a time of 39.88, which was the fastest Scottish time in more than 10 years.

As a youth, he was also prominent on the international stage as he finished seventh in the 110m hurdles event at the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, India.

Innes will kick off the 2011 summer track season on May 8 when he will compete in the 200m event at the Loughborough Trials, a meet which determines who will represent Scotland at the Loughborough International – a competition between England, Scotland, Wales, Loughborough University Alumni, a team compiled from the British Universities and Colleges and Great Britain’s U20 squad – on May 22.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen