SCOTTISH HIGH JUMP CHAMPION JOINS SPARTANS

TRACK & FIELD
THURSDAY, MAY 5, 2011
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SCOTTISH HIGH JUMP CHAMPION JOINS SPARTANS

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western University Spartans track and field team added a major piece to its puzzle Thursday with the signing of Scottish high jump champion Emma Nuttall.

The 19-year-old from Edinburgh is Scotland’s reigning national senior and U20 indoor high jump champion and also possesses a share of her country’s native record, with Jayne Barnetson, at 1.83 metres, a feat she accomplished while winning gold at the 2011 Scottish Senior Championships.

“It’s a great day for Spartan athletics to have Emma sign a letter of intent,” said Laurier Primeau, the Spartans track and field and cross country coach and former head coach of Scottish Athletics. “Emma embodies the Complete Champion Approach, possessing strong leadership characteristics and has a good academic record. And of course her performances athletically speak for themselves as she is currently the No. 2 ranked U20 high jumper in the United Kingdom.

“With a personal best of 1.83m (six feet), which she accomplished before her 19th birthday, we look forward to some outstanding jumping from Emma as well as great contributions off the track.”

Nuttall’s jump of 1.83m earlier this season was not only a personal best and a national record-tying leap, it was also a performance that would have had her atop the podium at this year’s CIS Championships by five centimetres, as the women’s high jump gold medal went to the University of Toronto’s Sarah Boyle with a jump of 1.78m.

Furthermore, Nuttall’s 1.83m PB is just one centimetre shy of Jeannie Cockroft’s 26-year-old Canada West Championships record of 1.84m and just four centimetre’s under the CIS Championships record of 1.87m, which has been held by UBC’s Tami Lutz since 1986.

“It’s really exciting to be coming to Canada,” Nuttall said. “I came over with Laurier (Primeau) because he was my coach back in Scotland. It’s really an exciting opportunity. I like the campus. I like that everything is so close together and there’s so many different facilities. There’s everything you need but it’s not too spaced out. I’m thrilled to be joining the Spartans this fall.”

Nuttall graduated from Craigmount High School and comes to Trinity Western with plans to study history.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen