TRIATHLETE FARKASH WINS ALBERTA CHAMPIONSHIP; WILL RACE IN EDMONTON ITU WORLD CUP

Credit: Justin Brisbane Rocky Mountain Outlook

TRACK AND FIELD
FRIDAY, JULY 8, 2011
RECRUITS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRIATHLETE FARKASH WINS ALBERTA CHAMPIONSHIP; WILL RACE IN EDMONTON ITU WORLD CUP

Bookmark and Share    

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western University triathlete Alison Farkash (Vermilion, Alta.), who competes with both the Spartans track and field and swim teams, is having a summer to remember as last weekend she won the Alberta Olympic-distance Provincial Championship in Canmore and this weekend will compete as an age-group racer (20-24) in the ITU World Cup in Edmonton.

After finishing fifth at the Alberta Provincial Championship last year, the 22-year-old Farkash topped the podium this year with a time of 2:20:46.9 and, in doing so, qualified for the 2012 Age-Group World Championship in Auckland, New Zealand in October.

Farkash was the fastest female on both the bike and the run and was more than six minutes ahead of the second female finisher. For full results click here.

“It was a very beautiful day and the course was awesome with lots of hills,” Farkash said. “I knew when we started that the winner would win it on the bike and the run for sure. I felt sloppy in the water that day and couldn't hang on to the very front bunch but I had a quick transition and got out on the bike for four very hilly laps.  We cycled the Three Sisters Parkway which had no flat spots and was just a number of different graded ups and downs.

“The run was also ups and downs on the paved trails of the Canmore biathlon Nordic Centre. My legs were feeling really good during the run portion but my feet sure got hot on the course and blisters were forming on the bottoms of both my feet.  But in the end, I ran through the banner, my mom snapped a great shot and I won.”

Farkash gets right back on the course this weekend, competing in Edmonton Sunday where ITU World Cup No. 1 ranked female racer Paula Findlay of Edmonton will be racing in the elite division.

“Usually a person takes at least two weeks off in between races but I really wanted to catch both of these big races,” Farkash said. “So we will see.”  

The Canmore triathlon was Farkash’s second of the year as she earlier raced in the Pike Lake sprint triathlon (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) in Saskatoon, Sask. where she finished third in a time of 1:08:27.

You can keep up with everything Farkash is up to this summer via her personal blog.

About Spartan Athletics
Since Trinity Western entered the CIS in 1999, Spartan student-athletes have accumulated a number of significant awards including a CIS Athlete of the Year (BLG) award, four CIS Player of the Year awards, a CIS Elite Eight Academic All-Canadian award, three CIS Rookie of the Year awards, a CIS Libero of the Year award, three CIS community service awards and numerous CIS All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star awards. In twelve years as members of the CIS, the Spartans have won six national titles (women’s soccer in 2004, 2008, 2009 and men’s volleyball in 2006, 2011), 15 CIS championship medals, an individual CIS championship in track and seven Canada West championships.

About TWU
Trinity Western University, in Langley, BC, is a provincially chartered, independent Christian liberal arts, sciences, and professional studies university, enrolling approximately 4000 students. TWU offers 42 undergraduate majors, ranging from biotechnology, education, theatre and music, to psychology, communications and biblical studies. TWU's 16 graduate degree programs include nursing, counselling psychology, marriage and family therapy, business, theology, linguistics, and leadership, and interdisciplinary degrees in English, philosophy and history. TWU holds Canada Research Chairs in Dead Sea Scroll Studies, Developmental Genetics and Disease, and Interpretation, Religion & Culture.

About Canada West Universities Athletic Association
Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year, 1997 to 2010. Comprised of 14 schools, from the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia, the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in pro leagues or events such as the Olympics, Paralympics or Universiade Games. “cwuaa” on Twitter.

About Canadian Interuniversity SportCanadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-one universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous world university championships. For further information, visit www.cis-sic.ca.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen