Hazel Ross

TRACK AND FIELD
MONDAY, JULY 25, 2011
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRACK AND FIELD TEAM SIGNS THIRD SCOTTISH STAR

Bookmark and Share    

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
Trinity Western University track and field coach Laurier Primeau is delighted to announce the signing of Scottish high jumper and hurdler Hazel Ross (Bishopton, Renfrewshire).

Ross, who is familiar with Primeau from his days as the head coach of Scottish Athletics, will be one of three Scottish athletes to join the Spartans track and field team this fall – along with high jumper Emma Nutttall (Edinburgh) and Callum Innes (Glasgow) – and comes to Trinity Western a young talent gleaming with potential. She has personal bests of 1.71m in the high jump, 5.16m in the long jump, 8.84 in the 60m hurdles and 14.77 in the 100m hurdles, with her 100m hurdles effort coming past weekend while winning gold in the Northern Premier Division’s fourth round in the National Junior Athletic League (a U-20 United Kingdom based inter-club competition). She also won this weekend’s NJAL high jump competition with a jump of 1.70m.

“I have had the good fortune of working with Hazel in the past, so it was easy to recognize her untapped potential,” Primeau said. “Her personal bests speak volumes, but more telling when I see her perform is the prospective for great things in the years to come.  Hazel will also be an important part of the spirit of community involvement at Trinity Western and it is on multiple fronts that we welcome her as a member of the Spartans.”

This year alone, the 5-foot-7 graduate of Park Mains High School won both the high jump (1.68m) and 60m hurdles (9.23) events at the indoor Scottish Schools’ Championships and then won the high jump competition (1.60m) and came second in the 100m hurdles competition (15.07) at the outdoor Scottish Schools’ Championships.

She also won last year’s 100m hurdles event at the NJAL Final in a time of 15.47.

“I am very excited to be given the opportunity to attend Trinity Western University,” said Ross, who plans to study human kinetics. “I am looking forward to working with Laurier and the rest of the coaching staff, with a view to reaching my full potential within my athletic career. I will be working alongside great athletes where I hope we will all motivate one another. I am also ready for a challenge academically within the school of human kinetics where I hope to be just as successful.”

Ross joins a bevy of Spartans track and field and cross country recruits coming to Trinity Western this fall including Hayley Stewart (long jump, triple jump, relays and combined events; Surrey, B.C.), Jake Powrie (decathlete; Vancouver, B.C.), Eric Dupuis (long jump and triple jump, Myrnam, Alta.), Dylan Kelso (long jump and sprints, Nanaimo, B.C.), Fiona Benson (cross country and distance running; Dawson Creek, B.C.), Blair Johnston (cross country and distance running; White Rock, B.C.), Katelynn Ramage (cross country and distance running; Nanaimo, B.C.) Nuttall and Innes.

About Spartan Athletics
Since Trinity Western entered the CIS in 1999, Spartan student-athletes have accumulated a number of significant awards including a CIS Athlete of the Year (BLG) award, four CIS Player of the Year awards, a CIS Elite Eight Academic All-Canadian award, three CIS Rookie of the Year awards, a CIS Libero of the Year award, three CIS community service awards and numerous CIS All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star awards. In twelve years as members of the CIS, the Spartans have won six national titles (women’s soccer in 2004, 2008, 2009 and men’s volleyball in 2006, 2011), 15 CIS championship medals, an individual CIS championship in track and seven Canada West championships.

About TWU
Trinity Western University, in Langley, BC, is a provincially chartered, independent Christian liberal arts, sciences, and professional studies university, enrolling approximately 4000 students. TWU offers 42 undergraduate majors, ranging from biotechnology, education, theatre and music, to psychology, communications and biblical studies. TWU's 16 graduate degree programs include nursing, counselling psychology, marriage and family therapy, business, theology, linguistics, and leadership, and interdisciplinary degrees in English, philosophy and history. TWU holds Canada Research Chairs in Dead Sea Scroll Studies, Developmental Genetics and Disease, and Interpretation, Religion & Culture.

About Canada West Universities Athletic Association
Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year, 1997 to 2010. Comprised of 14 schools, from the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia, the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in pro leagues or events such as the Olympics, Paralympics or Universiade Games. “cwuaa” on Twitter.

About Canadian Interuniversity SportCanadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-one universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous world university championships. For further information, visit www.cis-sic.ca.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen