SPARTANS ADD MANITOBAN DISTANCE RUNNER

Levi Neufeld

CROSS COUNTRY AND TRACK & FIELD
MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2011
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS ADD MANITOBAN DISTANCE RUNNER

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
The Trinity Western men’s track and field and cross country teams added a key piece of the puzzle to next year’s distance running efforts as coach Laurier Primeau announced the signing of Levi Neufeld (Winnipeg, Man.) Monday.

The 6-foot-1 graduate of Kelvin High School will come to Trinity Western as a three-time Manitoba provincial cross country champion – in 2008, 2010 and 2011 – and the 2011 provincial outdoor champion in both the 800m event, one in which he as a personal best of 1:55.80, and 1500m event. He also helped his high school team to a provincial gold medal in both the 4x400m and medley relays.

Neufeld, who competes with the Winnipeg Optimists Athletics track and field club, has represented Manitoba on several stages, most notably with the Legion provincial team from 2009 to 2011.

“Mark [Bomba] and I share in our enthusiasm in welcoming Levi to Trinity Western University,” Primeau said. “He has athletic gifts that demonstrate range from 800 meters to cross country. We know we are getting an excellent runner, but more importantly we are building the culture of our team with a young man who has an academic average in the 90s and a history of community and spiritual giving.  This is the foundations upon which we are proud to build our team and we know Levi is going to add to our team ethos.”

Neufeld, who has been an honour roll student for the past three years, is heavily involved in his church community in Manitoba as he has participated in both SOAR Montreal (2008) and SOAR Heartland (2009-2011) as well as being a children’s small group leader at his church and a volunteer at Red Rock Bible Camp.

“I look forward to the opportunities that going to Trinity offers, in sports, academics and in spiritual life,” said Neufeld, who plans to focus on sciences and religious studies while at Trinity Western. “I am excited to be training with the team at TWU and with coaches Mark Bomba and Laurier Primeau. I am especially thankful for their attentiveness during the recruitment process. I enjoyed my campus tour immensely and I am looking forward to dorm life.”

Neufeld joins fellow distance runner Joel De Schiffart as part of Primeau’s early signings for the 2012-13 cross country and track and field seasons.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS