SPARTANS SIGN PAIR OF SPRINTERS

Anastasia Pearse (left) and Nick Ayin

TRACK AND FIELD
THURSDAY, MAY 3, 2012
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN PAIR OF SPRINTERS

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western track and field team took another major step forward Thursday with the signing of sprinters Anastasia Pearse of Victoria, B.C. and Nick Ayin of Coquitlam, B.C.

The two sprinters – Pearse, who will join the Spartans in her third year of CIS eligibility after competing for the University of Victoria for two years, and Ayin, who will be entering his first year of CIS eligibility – will immediately upgrade a Trinity Western track and field team that is quickly developing into a serious threat at the university level.

ANASTASIA PEARSE

Pearse will transfer to Trinity Western after completing a bachelor’s degree with distinction in recreation and health education at Victoria and joins the Spartans already a well-accomplished individual both on and off the track.

“Anastasia brings multiple gifts to Trinity Western, not the least of which is experience,” said Spartans coach Laurier Primeau. “As a new program we are very heavy with freshman and sophomores, so to add someone of Anastasia’s calibre with multiple years of varsity track and field under her belt is great from both an athletic and leadership perspective. Her not-for-profit work and versatility in sprints and hurdles gives Trinity Western an incredibly well rounded student-athlete.”

On the track, the 5-foot-7 Pearse, who graduated from St. Andrews Regional High School in Victoria, has personal best times of 55.80 in the 400m and 8.98 in the 60m hurdles; the latter of which came at the 2012 University of Washington Invitational in just her third ever running of that event.

Her accolades also include a third place finish in the 400m hurdles at the 2010 Canadian Senior Championships as well as a first place finish in the 4x400m relay at the 2009 Canada Summer Games. In 2008, she made the finals in the 600m at the CIS national championships.

Pearse, who has competed with the Pacific Athletics Track and Field Club since 2004, has represented B.C. at the Canadian Senior Championships three times, in 2009, 2010 and 2011, and at the Canadian Junior Championships once, in 2007.

Away from the track, Pearse has been actively involved in the pro-life movement for the past six years. During this time, she was the president of the pro-life club at the University of Victoria and is currently working full-time with university pro-life clubs across Canada as well as sitting on the organizing committee for B.C.’s March for Life campaign.

“Trinity Western University is the perfect fit, as it enables me to combine my talents, interests and passions in one place,” said Pearse, who plans to earn her master’s degree in leadership with a focus on the non-profit sector. “Not only can I complete a master’s degree that will greatly benefit my current pro-life work, but I can also continue to compete at a national level in track. Most importantly, I’m excited to have the opportunity to pursue this within a Christian community."

NICK AYIN

Ayin, who transfers from Douglas College, will join the Spartans this fall and have an instant impact on the Trinity Western track.

The 5-foot-7 graduate of Gleneagle Secondary, who ran with the Coquitlam Cheetahs Track and Field Club, has personal bests of 11.23 in the 100m and 22.55 in the 200m and at last year’s BC High School Championships, Ayin won the silver medal in the 100m.

“Nick makes us faster,” Primeau said. “We know we are getting some great speed qualities to add to what should be an excellent sprint relay team. More than that, Trinity Western is getting an outstanding person who will contribute to the greater good away from the track. He has been well-coached and comes to us via a great club program in the Coquitlam Cheetahs. Through strong family values, he has developed into an individual who will make our team richer.”

Away from the track and in the classroom, Ayin has been an honour roll student from Grade 10 through Grade 12.

“Trinity Western is going to push me to my limits, both athletically and academically,” said Ayin, who plans to study human kinetics. “Academically they are a very strong school and I will be getting the most academically out of the school and they will lead me to a successful career. Athletically they have exactly what I am looking for and will bring out my best performances in me that have yet to come.”

Pearse and Ayin join Braedon Dolfo, James Linde, Joel De Schiffart and Levi Neufeld as part of the Primeau’s announced 2012 recruiting class.

ABOUT TRINITY WESTERN TRACK & FIELD

This fall Trinity Western will enter its third year back competing in the CIS after a six-year hiatus.

After the Spartans returned to track and field in the fall of 2010, the program has taken huge strides in becoming a competitive group at both the Canada West and CIS levels.

In 2011-12, the Spartans made a triumphant return to both the Canada West and CIS podiums as Trinity Western collected six conference medals and two national medals.

At the CIS Championships, high jumper Emma Nuttall claimed the Spartans first gold medal since 2002 when Laura Wilson won in the 60m with a season’s best jump of 1.82m. On that same day, middle distance runner Fiona Benson captured a bronze medal in the 1500m with a time of 4:29.35.

On top of their double-medal effort at the CIS national championships, at the Canada West championships the Spartans also had an impressive showing as Calum Innes (60m) and Benson (1500m) won gold medals, Nuttall (high jump) and Benson (1000m) each captured silver medals and Blair Johnston (1500m) and Jake Powrie (pentathlon) earned bronze medals.

Over their history, the Spartans have a total of seven CIS medals in track and field, including two gold medals (Nuttall [high jump] – 2012 and Laura Wilson [60m] – 2002), one silver medal (Ian Sharp [1000m] – 2002) and four bronze medals (Benson [1500m] – 2012, Justin Beanblossom [600m] – 2002 and 2003 and Aleena Zibin [Shot Put] – 2003).

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS