TRACK AND FIELD INKS PAIR OF B.C. ATHLETES

Erin Kokayko (left) and Delyth Harper

TRACK AND FIELD
TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2012
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TRACK AND FIELD INKS PAIR OF B.C. ATHLETES

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western track and field and cross country head coach Laurier Primeau announced the signing of multi-event athlete Erin Kokayko (Kelowna, B.C.) and middle distance runner Delyth Harper (Revelstoke, B.C.) for the 2012-13 season Tuesday.

The announcement brings Primeau’s 2012 recruiting class to seven athletes already, including Anastasia Pearse, Braedon Dolfo, James Linde, Joel De Schiffart and Levi Neufeld.

ERIN KOKAYKO
Kokayko comes to Trinity Western as one of the top multi-event graduating athletes in the province. The 5-foot-7 graduate-to-be of Kelowna Christian School was ranked fourth in B.C. in three individual events and second in combined events in the 2011 year-end rankings.
This past year, competing for the Okanagan Athletics Club, she was named the club’s most outstanding female athlete.

In 2010, Kokayko also competed with Team B.C. and managed an impressive fourth place finish in the heptathlon at the Canadian Youth (U18) Track and Field Championships.

“Erin is so well rounded in all aspects of her life,” Primeau said. “As an athlete she excels in the heptathlon, which of course requires excellence across a number of disciplines, but she is also the recipient of the President’s Scholarship on account of her high academic achievement at Kelowna Christian, which is an indication that she is intrinsically motivated and has the self-discipline required to be successful in the classroom and on the track.

“Perhaps most importantly, Erin understands what it means to give to the greater community. She recently returned from a missions trip to South Africa and Zambia, and is demonstrating, through her life choices and actions, that she is the kind of student-athlete Trinity Western University is going to be proud of.”

While she has clearly proven herself athletically, academically, along with her President’s Scholarship, she has also been named to her school’s principal’s list in every term this past year.

“Trinity Western gives me the opportunity to engage and advance in every area of my life that I am passionate about,” said Kokayko, who plans to study sciences, specializing in either education or mathematics. “Along with pursuing my athletics through the track and field team, I’m excited about being in an environment where I will be encouraged to grow in my Christian faith as well. I already feel like I’ll be right at home on the campus, and I really look forward to becoming a Spartan this fall.”

DELYTH HARPER

Harper is a middle-distance runner who will join the Spartans cross country and track and field teams and instantly become a contributing member, most notably in helping to replace the graduated Marissa Ratzlaff on the trails and on the Spartans 4x800m relay team.

The 5-foot-7 Revelstoke Secondary student, who will graduate this spring, finished fifth in the 1500m steeplechase at the 2010 provincial championships and eighth in the 400m hurdles at the 2011 provincial championships.

“We are very excited about the addition of Delyth to our cross country and track and field program,” Primeau said. “She has great range, having been a finalist at the BC High School Championships in the 400 meter hurdles, and having been a top finisher in both the steeplechase and in cross country. Delyth’s character, values and academic achievement embody the Complete Champion Approach, and it is with this that we know we are getting a great recruit.”

Away from the track and the trails, Harper also played on her high school’s volleyball, basketball and soccer teams and, in doing so, won her school’s Athletic Excellence award in Grades 8, 9 and 11 and was the Top Junior Female Athlete in Grade 10.

Beyond the sporting realm altogether, Harper has also been a proficient student both in the classroom and in the community. She has been on the principal’s list every year throughout high school and has earned a President’s Scholarship from Trinity Western. In Grade 11 her work in the school outside of the classroom earned her the Service to the School award. She is also a musician and plays first trombone in her high school’s jazz and concert bands, winning the Concert Band award in Grades 9 and 11.

“Trinity Western University is the place where I want to further my education,” said Harper, who plans to study humanities at Trinity Western. “I am excited to be working alongside people with the same beliefs as me and to be part of successful and flourishing track and field and cross country teams. The supportive environment that Trinity Western offers is something I am greatly looking forward to in my post-secondary education.”

ABOUT TRINITY WESTERN TRACK & FIELD

This fall Trinity Western will enter its third year back competing in the CIS after a six-year hiatus.

After the Spartans returned to track and field in the fall of 2010, the program has taken huge strides in becoming a competitive group at both the Canada West and CIS levels.

In 2011-12, the Spartans made a triumphant return to both the Canada West and CIS podiums as Trinity Western collected six conference medals and two national medals.

At the CIS Championships, high jumper Emma Nuttall claimed the Spartans first gold medal since 2002 when Laura Wilson won in the 60m with a season’s best jump of 1.82m. On that same day, middle distance runner Fiona Benson captured a bronze medal in the 1500m with a time of 4:29.35.

On top of their double-medal effort at the CIS national championships, at the Canada West Championships the Spartans were also very productive as Calum Innes (60m) and Benson (1500m) won gold medals, Nuttall (high jump) and Benson (1000m) each captured silver medals and Blair Johnston (1500m) and Jake Powrie (pentathlon) earned bronze medals.

Over their history, the Spartans have a total of seven CIS medals, including two gold medals (Nuttall [high jump] – 2012 and Laura Wilson [60m] – 2002), one silver medal (Ian Sharp [1000m] – 2002) and four bronze medals (Benson [1500m] – 2012, Justin Beanblossom [600m] – 2002 and 2003 and Aleena Zibin [Shot Put] – 2003).

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS