TRACK & FIELD AND CROSS COUNTRY SIGN PAIR OF LOCAL PRODUCTS

Meg Harradine (right) and Tunji Taylor Lewis (Taylor-Lewis photo by Paul Self)

TRACK & FIELD AND CROSS COUNTRY
TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2012
RECRUIT SIGNINGS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS TRACK & FIELD AND CROSS COUNTRY SIGN PAIR OF LOCAL PRODUCTS

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western track and field and cross country teams continue to add talent to their already deep rosters with Spartans head coach Laurier Primeau announcing the signing of Meg Harradine (Langley, B.C.) and Tunji Taylor-Lewis (Port Coquitlam, B.C.) Tuesday.

The duo adds to depth to the Spartans teams in a number of facets as Harradine will contribute on both the track, in middle distance races, and the cross country trails, while Taylor-Lewis will bolster Trinity Western’s sprinting capacity.

Tunji Taylor-Lewis

The 5-foot-8 graduate-to-be of Terry Fox Secondary will provide great sprinting depth for a burgeoning Spartans program as he will compete in the 60m, 100m and 200m events.

Taylor-Lewis, who trains with the Coquitlam Cheetahs Track and Field Club, competed at the BC Summer Games in 2008 and will join a number of his teammates at Trinity Western including James Linde, Nick Ayin and Liza Whitehead.

“We are very keen to welcome Tunji to our team,” Primeau said. “Not only does he add sprinting depth and relay power, but he is also committed to academics and faith. Tunji has a network of friends who already attend Trinity Western, and along with his teammates who have signed letters of intent with us, we know he will be an influential member of our community.”

In the classroom, Taylor-Lewis has earned the Honours with Distinction award each of the past three years.

“Trinity Western is an outstanding school and I am ecstatic about this opportunity,” said Taylor-Lewis, who plans to study communications. “I am very much attracted to Trinity Western’s great sense of community as well as its outstanding academic and athletic programs. I’m certain I will have a great time as I begin a new chapter in my life.”

Meg Harradine

The 5-foot-6 Harradine, who will graduate from Walnut Grove Secondary this month, will compete in the 600m, 1000m, 4x400m and 4x800m distances on the track as well as running with the cross country team. Her best event throughout high school was the 800m, in which she has a personal best time of 2:21:03.

“We are enthusiastic to have such a versatile endurance athlete joining Trinity Western University,” Primeau said. “Meg ran the 400 and 800 meters at the BC High School Championships, and was also a valuable member of the Walnut Grove cross country team. That kind of range is critical to our team’s success both on the track and in the trails.”

Harradine has been running with the Walnut Grove Secondary track and field and cross country teams for the past five years and, along the way, helped her cross country team to a pair of junior provincial championships, in 2009 and 2010, and her track and field team to multiple Fraser Valley championships, including in 2012. In 2011, Harradine also helped her 4x400m Walnut Grove team to a second place finish at the provincial championships.

Away from the track and the cross country paths, Harradine has been an honour roll student in every term since entering high school and has been a contributing member of her community, notably volunteering with the Free the Children foundation, her school’s homework club and, last summer, at the Mountain View Conservation Centre.

“I’m thrilled to be able to have the opportunity to continue my education and running career in cross-country and track at Trinity Western,” said Harradine, who plans to study sciences. “It is a university with an excellent reputation for academics and athletics and it has the added advantage of being so close to my home.”

Harradine and Taylor-Lewis join Liza Whitehead, Rebecca Marchant, Anastasia Pearse, Nick Ayin. Braedon Dolfo, Erin Kokayko, Delyth Harper, James Linde, Joel De Schiffart and Levi Neufeld as part of the Primeau’s announced 2012 recruiting class.

About Trinity Western Track & Field

This fall, Trinity Western will enter its third year back competing in the CIS after a six-year hiatus.

After the Spartans returned to track and field in the fall of 2010, the program has taken huge strides in becoming a competitive group at both the Canada West and CIS levels.

In 2011-12, the Spartans made a triumphant return to both the Canada West and CIS podiums as Trinity Western collected six conference medals and two national medals.

At the CIS Championships, high jumper Emma Nuttall claimed the Spartans first gold medal since 2002 – when Laura Wilson won in the 60m – with a season’s best jump of 1.82m. On that same day, middle distance runner Fiona Benson captured a bronze medal in the 1500m with a time of 4:29.35.

Prior to their double-medal effort at the CIS national championships, the Spartans were also very productive at the Canada West Championships, as Calum Innes (60m) and Benson (1500m) won gold medals, Nuttall (high jump) and Benson (1000m) each captured silver medals and Blair Johnston (1500m) and Jake Powrie (pentathlon) earned bronze medals.

Over their history, the Spartans have a total of seven CIS medals, including two gold medals (Nuttall [high jump] – 2012 and Laura Wilson [60m] – 2002), one silver medal (Ian Sharp [1000m] – 2002) and four bronze medals (Benson [1500m] – 2012, Justin Beanblossom [600m] – 2002 and 2003 and Aleena Zibin [Shot Put] – 2003).

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS