SPARTANS SIGN NATIONAL LEVEL SPRINTER

Nathan George (photo by Paul Self)

TRACK AND FIELD
TUESDAY, JUNE 19, 2012
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN NATIONAL LEVEL SPRINTER

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western track and field team launched into yet another sprinting stratosphere Wednesday as coach Laurier Primeau announced the signing of Nathan George (Coquitlam, B.C.), who was recently crowned the B.C. high school provincial champion in both the 200m, which he also won in 2011, and 400m.

The 5-foot-11 graduate-to-be of Centennial Secondary is the top ranked junior-aged athlete in B.C. in both the 200m and 400m, with personal bests of 21.80 and 47.89 respectively, and is ranked fourth in Canada in the 400m and fifth in the country in the 200m.

“Nathan is one of the most talented high school athletes in the country,” Primeau said. “Adding this quality of athlete to our roster can’t be overstated. He is a truly gifted individual. But, despite his impressive talent and accolades, Nathan doesn’t act like he is one of Canada’s best. He is humble, he works incredibly hard on the track and in the classroom, and he is a team player. We are truly fortunate to have yet another member of the Coquitlam Cheetahs Track and Field Club joining our program in the fall.”

Over the years competing with the Coquitlam Cheetahs, George has been a dominant sprinter and, in the process, has won a bevy of awards including the club’s Sprint award in 2011, its Most Valuable Player award in 2010, its Outstanding Male Juvenile award in 2010 and its Most Improved Senior Male award in 2009.

On top of all that, George also had the chance to represent Canada in 2011 at the IAAF World Youth Championships, where he competed in the 400m.

“I chose Trinity Western because I felt the people there not only valued me as an athlete, but they also valued me as a student they would like to see succeed,” said George, who plans to study human kinetics with a focus on sport and leisure management. “I feel that going to a smaller campus will help my transition from high school to university and will provide me with more personal support. I've heard nothing but good things about Coach Laurier and Trinity Western’s track program. It's a developing program and I'm excited to take part in contributing to its success.”

George joins Liza Whitehead, Rebecca Marchant, Anastasia Pearse, Nick Ayin. Braedon Dolfo, Erin Kokayko, Delyth Harper, James Linde, Joel De Schiffart, Levi Neufeld, Meg Harradine and Tunji Taylor-Lewis as part of the Primeau’s announced 2012 recruiting class.

About Trinity Western Track & Field

This fall Trinity Western will enter its third year back competing in the CIS after a six-year hiatus.

After the Spartans returned to track and field in the fall of 2010, the program has taken huge strides in becoming a competitive group at both the Canada West and CIS levels.

In 2011-12, the Spartans made a triumphant return to both the Canada West and CIS podiums as Trinity Western collected six conference medals and two national medals.

At the CIS Championships, high jumper Emma Nuttall claimed the Spartans first gold medal since 2002 – when Laura Wilson won in the 60m – with a season’s best jump of 1.82m. On that same day, middle distance runner Fiona Benson captured a bronze medal in the 1500m with a time of 4:29.35.

Prior to their double-medal effort at the CIS national championships, the Spartans were also very productive at the Canada West Championships, as Calum Innes (60m) and Benson (1500m) won gold medals, Nuttall (high jump) and Benson (1000m) each captured silver medals and Blair Johnston (1500m) and Jake Powrie (pentathlon) earned bronze medals.

Over their history, the Spartans have a total of seven CIS medals, including two gold medals (Nuttall [high jump] – 2012 and Laura Wilson [60m] – 2002), one silver medal (Ian Sharp [1000m] – 2002) and four bronze medals (Benson [1500m] – 2012, Justin Beanblossom [600m] – 2002 and 2003 and Aleena Zibin [Shot Put] – 2003).

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS