SPARTANS SIGN CANADIAN RECORD-HOLDING PARALYMPIAN

Leah Robinson (Phillip MacCallum, Canadian Paralympic Committee)

TRACK AND FIELD
MONDAY, JANUARY 7, 2013
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN CANADIAN RECORD-HOLDING PARALYMPIAN

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western University track and field coach Laurier Primeau is thrilled to announce the signing of Canadian record-holding Paralympian sprinter Leah Robinson (Mannheim, Ont.) Monday as the two-time Paralympian will join the Spartans in January.

The 5-foot-6 Robinson, who has cerebral palsy, holds the Canadian record in the T37 400m with a time of 1:10.81, which she clocked en route to qualifying for the 2012 London Paralympic Games. Robinson, who finished 10th in the T37 400m in London, also has a bevy of world class experience beyond the 2012 Games as she competed in the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games, the 2010 Commonwealth Games and the 2011 IPC World Championships.

Along with her T37 400m Canadian record, she also has personal best times in the 200m of 31.32 and the 300m of 51.32 and holds Canadian records in the T37 100m, 800m and 1500m races.

“We are excited to have Leah join the Trinity Western family,” said Primeau, who also coached Robinson in London when he was the head coach for Canada’s Paralympic team. “As a two-time Paralympian, she will bring both valuable experience and a high-performance attitude to our squad. She also has an understanding of what it means to serve and I look forward to watching her grow during her time at Trinity Western.”

Robinson, who graduated from Kitchener, Ontario’s Rockway Mennonite Collegiate in 2011, was a double OFSAA (Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations) gold medalist, winning the 100m event in her Grade 9 and Grade 11 years. She did not compete in high school track in Grade 10 nor Grade 12.

Robinson was also nominated for the Kitchener-Waterloo Athlete of the Year in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

“I chose to attend TWU because it’s a good fit for me both academically and athletically,” said Robinson, who received a Dean’s Scholarship from TWU. “I was drawn to the small campus size, Christian environment and excellent track and field coaching and facilities. I look forward to beginning a new chapter of my life here.”

Robinson plans to take general studies in her first year at TWU.

The Spartans will open their track and field season Jan. 12 at the University of Washington’s Indoor Preview.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS