YEE HEADLINES TRIO OF TRACK & FIELD RECRUITS

Regan Yee (photo by Reta Dobie)

TRACK & FIELD
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3, 2013
RECRUITS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

YEE HEADLINES TRIO OF TRACK & FIELD RECRUITS

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western track and field and cross country teams added a major piece to this year’s recruiting puzzle as Spartans coach Laurier Primeau officially announced the signing of middle distance runner Regan Yee (South Hazelton, B.C.) Wednesday. Yee leads a group of three athletes who recently joined the Spartans, which also includes sprinter Rachel Shuttleworth (Surrey, B.C.) and high jumper Katie Maryschuk (Winfield, B.C.).

Regan Yee

The 5-foot-4 Yee, who will graduate from Hazelton Secondary this spring, will join the Spartans already with a strong pedigree in the steeplechase as well as the 5000m, 3000m, 1500m, 800m and in cross country.

Amongst the variety of events that she will compete in as a Spartan, Yee has personal best times of 10:09.04 in the 3000m and 2:16.57 in the 800m.

She also has a personal best time of 6:49.77 in the 2000m steeplechase.

Yee is the two-time reigning youth champion in the 2000m steeplechase at the B.C. Athletics Jamboree and, in 2012, was nominated for the B.C. Track & Field Female Youth Athlete of the Year award. She also captured a silver medal in the 2000m steeplechase at the 2012 Canadian Youth Track and Field Championships.

On the trails, she has also been impressive as, most notably, she finished third at the 2011 BC Secondary School Cross Country Championships.

“Regan is an outstanding talent who has demonstrated her abilities at some major competitions,” Primeau said. “We believe her gifts as a runner can be demonstrated by the fact that she, unlike many of her peers, only runs during the cross country and track seasons.

“She spends the winter playing for her high school basketball team, and even during the season, her running volume is less than 25 kilometers per week. Despite this relatively low running emphasis, Regan has demonstrated excellent performances from 800m to cross country. We know that we have just signed a high calibre athlete, but also an exceptional academic, as she will enter TWU with the President’s Scholarship.”

Yee has been the top overall academic student in her grade since Grade 8 and plans to study pre-engineering at TWU.

“Trinity Western has a very welcoming atmosphere, and it is also located conveniently close to my family in Vancouver and Burnaby,” Yee said. “I feel the coaches here will help me realize my full potential in track and cross country, and I am looking forward to wearing Spartans colours next season.”

Rachel Shuttleworth

The 5-foot-9 Shuttleworth, who will graduate this spring from St. Thomas More Collegiate, will compete as a sprinter with TWU, with a focus on the 300m.

As a Grade 11 student, Shuttleworth helped STM to a bronze medal in the 4x100m relay at the 2012 B.C. High School provincial championships.

Most recently, she has trained with Air Blastoff, which is a speed program designed by Robert Esmie, who was a member of Canada’s 1996 Summer Olympics gold medal-winning 4x100m relay team.

“We are very pleased that Rachel has chosen TWU,” Primeau said. “While she has focused primarily on the short sprints, we see her future potential in the 300m indoors and the 400m outside. We know she comes to us with good foundational skills as she has been under the tutelage Robert Esmie. Further, she has a remarkable history of academic excellence and has been involved in a variety of local missions-related work.”

Shuttleworth plans to take general studies in her first year at TWU.

“I am attending TWU because I want to further my post-secondary education and athletic goals in a Christian-based university,” Shuttleworth said.

Katie Maryschuk

The 5-foot-9 soon-to-be graduate of Kelowna’s Rutland Senior Secondary will largely compete for the Spartans in high jump, an event in which she has a personal best of 1.51m.

Most recently, she earned a bronze medal in the youth high jump event at the 2012 B.C. Athletics Jamboree, where she set her personal best.

“Katie is a multi-talented athlete who has a very low training age and, conversely, a very high trainability quotient,” Primeau said. “While she will definitely be high jumping at TWU, do not be surprised to see her actively pursuing the other vertical jump - pole vault. We welcome Katie and look forward to working with her in September.”

Maryschuk plans to study film within TWU’s School of Arts, Media and Culture.

“I am blessed with the opportunity to be able to attend a school with not only amazing courses and extra-curricular activities, but also one that boasts an incredible track and field program,” Maryschuk said. “I look forward to being able to live, train and breathe in a place that pushes and encourages me to strive for my best, not only on the track, but in the classroom and within my Christian faith as well.”

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-08-22
Author: Mark Janzen

STATS