SPARTANS SIGN PIJHL ALL-STAR GOALIE

Harry Fredeman

MEN’S HOCKEY
FRIDAY, JUNE 22, 2012
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN PIJHL ALL-STAR GOALIE

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western men’s hockey coach Dwayne Lowdermilk announced  his first signing for the 2012-13 season as PIJHL (Pacific International Junior Hockey League) Junior “B” goalie Harry Fredeman (Delta, B.C.) officially committed to the Spartans Friday.

The 6-foot-1, 182-pound Fredeman, who played in the PIJHL All-Star game this past season, had a standout 2011-12 campaign with the North Delta Devils, leading all goaltenders with 20 wins while registering a 2.82 goals against average (third in the PIJHL) and a .915 save percentage (sixth).

His best work came in the first round of the playoffs when the 20-year-old, averaging 40 saves per game and posting a .933 save percentage, helped the Devils push the eventual PIJHL champion Delta Ice Hawks to a Game 7, before ultimately losing the deciding game. In the first three games of the series alone, Fredeman allowed just six goals on 146 shots and was named the first star in Games 1 and 2 and the second star in Game 3.

“I was able to scout Harry through the second half of the season and follow him through his outstanding play in the PIJHL playoffs,” Lowdermilk said. “He faced an incredible amount of shots from the Ice Hawks and kept his team in the series. As an all-star goalie in the PIJHL, Harry has the skill, dedication and work ethic to step right in to our league and play. Harry practiced with our team this past spring, so he should feel right at home this fall.”

In four seasons playing in the PIJHL, Fredeman played with three different teams – along with North Delta, he also suited up for Mission, for 39 games, and Squamish, for six games – for a total of 76 games.

Fredeman also had a stint at the Junior “A” level with the Trenton Golden Hawks of the OJHL (Ontario Junior Hockey League).

“Trinity Western has a great reputation and I have heard a lot of positive things about their business program in particular,” Fredeman said. “I'm very excited to begin the next stage of my hockey career as I've heard nothing but good things about the BCIHL. Trinity Western is providing me an excellent opportunity to not only continue playing hockey, but also to obtain a degree in something that interests me. This school is a perfect fit and it has a tremendous history that I look forward to becoming a part of.”

Prior to committing to Trinity Western, Fredeman attended Langara College, where he was studying business.

About Spartans Men’s Hockey

This fall, the Trinity Western men’s hockey program will enter its third season under the Spartans umbrella after the BCIHL-playing Trinity Western Titans joined Spartans Athletics for the 2010-11 campaign. Prior to 2010, it had been 20 years since men’s hockey had been part of the Trinity Western varsity program.

After finishing fourth in the BCIHL playoffs for five straight years, the Spartans saw its streak come to an end in 2011-12 when they missed the playoffs following a 4-15-4 regular season record and a sixth place finish.

The Spartans hockey program was first developed in 1973-1974 when they competed in the Fraser Valley Hockey League. In 1976-77 the Spartans, under head coach Allan Kotanen joined the BCCAA, where they continued to play until the 1990-91 season.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2012-07-12
Author: Mark Janzen