MEN’S HOCKEY SIGNS SPEEDY FORWARD

Mattias Schmitt

MEN’S HOCKEY
MONDAY, JULY 16, 2012
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEN’S HOCKEY SIGNS SPEEDY FORWARD

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western men’s hockey team added an impressive dosage of speed and skill to its offensive unit Monday as coach Dwayne Lowdermilk officially announced the signing of  5-foot-8, 170-pound forward Mattias Schmitt (Surrey, B.C.).

The 20-year-old comes to the Spartans after a four-year Junior “B” career in which he spent one year with the Columbia Valley Rockies (KIJHL – Kootenay International Junior Hockey League), in 2008-09, before playing his last three years with the Mission Icebreakers (PIJHL – Pacific International Junior Hockey League).

Last year with the Icebreakers, Schmitt finished third on his team in scoring with 13 goals and 16 assists in 43 games.

“Mattias is a very quick and exciting player with excellent speed, which allows him to open up the ice and create opportunities,” Lowdermilk said. “I look forward to working with him and I know he will strive to do his best for both the team and the school. He is a very personable young man who will be a welcome addition to the Spartans.”

In his 168-game Junior “B” career with both Columbia and Mission, Schmitt totalled 39 goals and 42 assists.  

“As a new student to Trinity Western, I cannot help but feel a great amount of excitement,” said Schmitt, who plans to study business administration. “I look forward to contributing to the success of the Spartans hockey team, while continuing my education. I know this will be an amazing year and I thank Trinity Western for this opportunity.”

Schmitt joins defenceman Blair Murphy (Victoria, B.C.), centre Jamie Russell (Surrey, B.C.) and goalie Harry Fredeman (Delta, B.C.) as Lowdermilk’s four announced recruits for the 2012-13 campaign.

About Spartans Men’s Hockey

This fall, the Trinity Western men’s hockey program will enter its third season under the Spartans umbrella after the BCIHL-playing Trinity Western Titans joined Spartans Athletics for the 2010-11 campaign. Prior to 2010, it had been 20 years since men’s hockey had been part of the Trinity Western varsity program.

After finishing fourth in the BCIHL playoffs for five straight years, the Spartans saw its streak come to an end in 2011-12 when they missed the playoffs following a 4-15-4 regular season record and a sixth place finish.

The Spartans hockey program was first developed in 1973-1974 when they competed in the Fraser Valley Hockey League. In 1976-77 the Spartans, under head coach Allan Kotanen joined the BCCAA, where they continued to play until the 1990-91 season.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2012-07-16
Author: Mark Janzen