Box Score

Scheduled Game: SELKIRK

No Stats Available

Game Recap

Game Recap





LANGLEY, British Columbia –
It wasn’t easy, but the Trinity Western Spartans managed to get past a feisty Selkirk Saints squad by a 3-2 count Saturday night the Langley Events Centre.

After beating the now 9-2-0 Thompson Rivers WolfPack Friday night, the Spartans faced the one-win Saints Saturday and, despite beating Selkirk 9-1 in their last meeting, still needed a third period goal from Trevor Edwards to break a 2-2 tie.

“It was way too close for what I anticipated,” said TWU coach Dwayne Lowdermilk. “The fact is a win is a win but we got some bounces yesterday and I think we got some bounces again today. We want to win and that’s what I said to the guys. I had to sit a few guys and made some changes but that’s how we had to play.”

The Spartans got off to a fast start as they were the better team early on and were rewarded for their efforts just over six minutes into the opening period. With TWU on the powerplay, Trevor Edwards – who scored the Spartans first goal Friday as well – snapped a shot top corner to the short side, beating Wong over his glove. Assists went to Brendon Long and Brendan Elenko.

But while the Spartans continued to carry the play for the majority of the first 20 minutes – finishing the opening period with a 19-8 advantage in shots – it was Selkirk getting on the board next. With the Saints shorthanded, Selkirk blueliner Caleb Roy took a shot from the centre ice red line that beat TWU goalie Sean Langreiger to the glove side.

The referee initially missed the goal and play continued for another 1:20 before the next whistle was blown and the call was corrected, giving the Saints a deserved tying goal.

With the game knotted 1-1, just over a minute into the second period, the Saints took their first lead of the contest when Brendan Madlung flipped a high shot on net that Langreiger again struggled with, juggling the puck and never gaining control, before the biscuit dropped behind him and squeaked just past the goal line. Roy and Cody Baker assisted on the go-ahead marker.

Four minutes later, TWU got back on even terms when Benton Nickel, standing at the blueline, took a rip at a rolling puck and beat Wong clean to the glove side. Assists were given to Trevor Beaupre and Curtis Martin.

After the Spartans tied the game, the momentum tilted back in favour of the TWU, but they were unable to capitalize on the puck possession disparity as Wong did well to keep the game tied 2-2 going into the third period. This, despite Trinity Western outshooting the Saints 15-10 in the middle frame.

“Their goalie stood on his head,” Lowdermilk said. “We tried every angle and every position to get and we were fortunate to get three goals.”

The deadlock heading to the third period setup Edwards game-winning heroics when he pounced on his own rebound in the slot, at 9:45 of the third period, and fired the puck into the open net past a helpless Wong. Matthew Chaput and Ian Spenser got credit for the helpers.
The Spartans next game is Jan. 21 when they will host Thompson Rivers at 7:00 p.m. while Selkirk will host Victoria in its next game Jan. 14 at 7:00 p.m.

1st Star – Trevor Edwards – Trinity Western
2nd Star – Caleb Roy – Selkirk
3rdd Star – Brendan Elenko – Trinity Western

Match Notes: The Spartans Benton Nickel and Selkirk’s Braeden Mace were each assessed game misconducts for a kerfuffle after the final horn…Selkirk finished with 50 penalty minutes to TWU’s 36…Wong finished with 37 saves while Langreiger made 23.




Sports area not defined (mb, wb, ms, ws, wv, wv)

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery