PORTLAND STATE’S MARA TO DRESS FOR TWU IN 2009

Tyrell Mara at LEC

Men's Basketball (Announcement)
Friday, April 24, 2009
Recruit Signing

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PORTLAND STATE'S MARA TO DRESS FOR TWU IN 2009

LANGLEY, British Columbia - White Rock, B.C. native Tyrell Mara has been a Warrior and most recently a Viking at NCAA Div. I Portland State University. However, Trinity Western University men's basketball head coach Scott Allen is pleased to announce that the 6'6" Mara will be returning to British Columbia to pick up a Spartans helmet as he joins TWU for his final two years of eligibility beginning in the fall of 2009.

"Tyrell has a wealth of experience in leadership and has always led by example and we are fortunate to have a person of his quality as a representative for the TWU Spartans," commented Allen. "Tyrell will be an impact player, but more importantly he is a community leader who understands the big picture and that as a group we are building something much bigger than we may ever know."

The 6'6" forward, who graduated from PSU with a degree in Business Management, captained the PSU Vikings to two Big Sky Championships and NCAA tournament berths in 2007-08, where they fell to the University of Kansas in the opening round, and again in 2008-09 where they fell to Xavier University in the opening round. In each year they broke school records for wins.

"I am truly excited to have the opportunity to be immersed in such a positive school atmosphere where the focus is always on uplifting others and living our lives in the same humility and service that Jesus Christ has taught us through the Bible.
I have never heard anything but good comments about the school, its programs, environment, and flourishing athletic program," commented Mara on becoming a Spartan. " I am excited to learn new lessons both about life, basketball and education through my peers, coaches and professors. "

Mara, who was a member of the 2008 Canadian National Development Team, played in all 33 Viking games and averaged 16.5 minutes and 3.6 points per game while shooting 47 percent from the field, 44 percent from the three point line and 77 percent from the foul line to average five points per game this past season with Portland State.

In addition to his captaining the Vikings Mara was also involved in numerous off court activities. During his four years at PSU Mara presented on a panel at the Northwest Communications Academic Conference in Cordelaine, Idaho, was President of the Portland State Student Athlete Advisory Committee, was the recipient of the Honorary Ime Udoka Scholarship at Portland State University, was nominated to represent Portland State Athletics at the NCAA National Leadership Conference in Orlando, Fla, earned Big Sky Academic All Conference Honors, was Portland State University Student Ambassador - one of 16 students selected out of total student body, was a member of the Portland State Intercollegiate Advisory Board and was President of the Portland State Student Athlete Advisory Committee from 2006.

"My goal is to be a positive leader on campus, and just like at Portland State University, I will pride myself in getting to know as many people as I possibly can in the TWU community, and being a humble servant," said Mara. "I will bring an uplifting positive attitude to everything I do at Trinity Western. I truly believe that we are all teachers and students of each other, and that with a positive attitude you can have a building impact on everyone around you, and effectively change your world!

Prior to attending Portland State Mara led the White Rock Christian Academy to two BC Boys High School Basketball Championships as well as a second and two third-place finishes. In his final season in 2005 he was named the Most Valuable Player of the Championship. He was also a first team All-Star three times and was twice named Defensive Player of the Tournament.

" I feel that I can bring an interesting positive perspective after experiencing both growing up in a very Christian school, and attending four years of University at a very large, diverse public University in the heart of Portland (largest University in Oregon 28,000, and boasts to be one of the most diverse student populations in the country)," added Mara.

In addition to his success on the basketball court Mara was also a star at Track and Field. He won the BC High School Championship in the discus in his senior year. In grade 10 he placed third in the BC High School Championship, but won the BC and Canadian National Juvenile Championships.

Mara, who used three years of eligibility at PSU after an injury redshirt in his second year, will be earning his Masters of Business Administration while completing his final two years of CIS eligibility. Because Mara completed his undergraduate degree at Portland State and is enrolling in a Masters program he does not have to sit out a year and can begin play this coming season.

The Spartans finished the 2008-09 season by earning a Canada West Bronze medal while setting program records for Canada West wins in a season, 17-6, and wins in a row with 12. Mara will join fellow recruits Kurtis Osborne, Niko Monachini, and Luke Braund who will be joining a solid returning Spartans group which includes 2009 CIS Player of the Year Jacob Doerksen.

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2009-06-20
Author: Scott Stewart