WICKHAM JOINS THE SPARTANS

Clint Wickham

Men’s Basketball (Announcement)
Monday, August 17, 2009
Recruit Signing

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WICKHAM JOINS THE SPARTANS

LANGLEY, British Columbia
– Trinity Western University men’s basketball head coach Scott Allen continues to build on his strong 2009 recruiting class. Today Allen is pleased to announce the signing of BCCAA 2008-09 Player of the Year Clint Wickham.

“Clint is a versatile forward who has gained great experience at the college level and we expect that he will adjust his game quickly to the CIS level,” commented Allen. “He is a quality person who excels in all areas and he will make us deeper at the forward position while bringing great tenacity at the defensive end of the floor.”

In addition to his Player of the Year Award Wickham was named CCAA All-Canadian, was named BC Player of the Week two times and earned Basketball BC’s College Player of the Year honours.

Wickham, a 6’8” third year forward from Langara College and Cambie Secondary, averaged 18.4 points and 10.8 rebounds per game to lead the Falcons to a 13-5 record and a 2nd place league finish.

The native of Richmond, B.C., who plans to study business next year at TWU, commented on his joining the Spartans next season. “I am looking forward to representing TWU both on the court and in the classroom. Finishing my business degree in a faith based university will help me to apply my faith in my daily life. To combine my education with my passion for basketball is really a dream come true. There is no doubt that Trinity's men’s basketball program is becoming one of the leading programs in Canada, and it is a privilege to be a part of it.

Wickham joins fellow 2009 newcomers Tyrell Mara, Kurtis Osborne, Niko Monachini, Luke Braund and redshirts Calvin Westbrook and Tonner Jackson who are added to a solid returning Spartan group which include 2009 CIS Player of the Year Jacob Doerksen. The Spartans finished the 2008-09 season by earning a Canada West Bronze medal while setting program records for Canada West wins in a season, 17-6, and wins in a row with 12.

Trinity Western is a member of both the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) and the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU).  TWU offers 42 undergraduate and 16 graduate degree programs through its Langley campus, including specialty programs offered at TWU’s Laurentian Leadership Centre in Ottawa, the Crow’s Nest Ecological Study Area on Salt Spring Island BC and at is Bellingham WA campus. TWU’s School of Business recently launched an MBA program, and the new School of Nursing will be offering a Master of Science in Nursing this fall.

As Canada’s premier Christian university, TWU provides exemplary academic programs that have earned national recognition: TWU has received three consecutive A+ ratings for “overall quality of education” in The Globe and Mail Canadian University Report Card, and recently ranked first in Canada for “enriching educational experience” as reported in Maclean’s.

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2009-08-17
Author: Scott Stewart