SPARTANS SIGN BIG MAN LUCAS NUGTEREN

Lucas Nugteren

MENS BASKETBALL (ANNOUNCEMENT)
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2010
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN BIG MAN LUCAS NUGTEREN

LANGLEY, British Columbia
– Trinity Western University men’s basketball head coach Scott Allen is pleased to announce that 6’ 11” centre Lucas Nugteren has committed to TWU to play for the Spartans beginning in the 2010-2011 season.

“Lucas is a perfect fit for our program. His size, mobility and skill gives us stability in the frontcourt for the next five years, while his work ethic and ability to thrive in intense competition will allow him to excel on the court and in our School of Business,” commented Allen. “For a person of his size, Lucas is blessed with great lateral movement and the ability to run the floor. Combined with a good shooting range, touch and the ability to play above the rim, he definitely a huge addition to our program and Trinity Western.”

The Woodstock, Ont. native is one of the top big men prospects in Canada. After graduating from Huron Park Secondary in 2009 he has spent the last year honing his skills with the prep team from the Regional Elite Development Academy, which is based in Hamilton. While playing for REDA this past year he has averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds against CIS, CCAA, USA prep schools and semi-professional team, including games at the prestigious Bull City Classic, NIA national Prep Tournament and the Mountain hoops Classic in Connecticut.

“Lucas was our best inside post player; he was a monster of the boards for our team and in my opinion he will be an All-Canadian in the near future,” commented Tarry Upshaw, head coach of REDA, about Nugteren. “He has the ability to play at the top level and will lead Trinity Western to new found success and he will excite your school with his passion and energy.”

Nugteren, who led the Huron Park Huskies to a WOSSA bronze medal in 2009, earned the grade 12 Male MVP Athletic award in his final year with the Huskies.

“Trinity Western fits my personality in the fact that it is a smaller school of only 4000 students, I really like that the classes will be small. Going to TWU just seemed like the right fit with the school, the guys on the team, the coach; everything fell into place, like I belonged there,” commented Nugteren on his choice of TWU to further his education and basketball career. “TWU is already a strong team and Coach Allen is bringing in the best and for that reason I think TWU will be a strong team for a long time. I'm really looking forward to playing in the fall.”

Prior to attending Huron Park, Nugteren was a standout player for London Christian, where he played until the end of his grade 11 year.

In addition to his play with Huron Park and NEDA, Nugteren who plans to enter TWU’s School of Business to earn a degree in Business Administration, has also been a part of Ontario’s Regional Elite Development Program and was a member of Waterloo Wildhawks AAU team and an AAU team out of Pittsburgh in the summer of 2008.

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 14 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Mens Basketball (announcement)

Friday, february 12, 2010

recruit signing

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Spartans sign big man lucas nugteren

LANGLEY, British Columbia – Trinity Western University men’s basketball head coach Scott Allen is pleased to announce that 6’ 11” centre Lucas Nugteren has committed to TWU to play for the Spartans beginning in the 2010-2011 season.

“Lucas is a perfect fit for our program. His size, mobility and skill gives us stability in the frontcourt for the next five years, while his work ethic and ability to thrive in intense competition will allow him to excel on the court and in our School of Business,” commented Allen. “For a person of his size, Lucas is blessed with great lateral movement and the ability to run the floor. Combined with a good shooting range, touch and the ability to play above the rim, he definitely a huge addition to our program and Trinity Western.”

The Woodstock, Ont. native is one of the top big men prospects in Canada. After graduating from Huron Park Secondary in 2009 he has spent the last year honing his skills with the prep team from the Regional Elite Development Academy, which is based in Hamilton. While playing for REDA this past year he has averaged 18 points and 11 rebounds against CIS, CCAA, USA prep schools and semi-professional team, including games at the prestigious Bull City Classic, NIA national Prep Tournament and the Mountain hoops Classic in Connecticut. 

“Lucas was our best inside post player; he was a monster of the boards for our team and in my opinion he will be an All-Canadian in the near future,” commented Tarry Upshaw, head coach of REDA, about Nugteren. “He has the ability to play at the top level and will lead Trinity Western to new found success and he will excite your school with his passion and energy.”

Nugteren, who led the Huron Park Huskies to a WOSSA bronze medal in 2009, earned the grade 12 Male MVP Athletic award in his final year with the Huskies.

“Trinity Western fits my personality in the fact that it is a smaller school of only 4000 students, I really like that the classes will be small. Going to TWU just seemed like the right fit with the school, the guys on the team, the coach; everything fell into place, like I belonged there,” commented Nugteren on his choice of TWU to further his education and basketball career. “TWU is already a strong team and Coach Allen is bringing in the best and for that reason I think TWU will be a strong team for a long time. I'm really looking forward to playing in the fall.”

Prior to attending Huron Park, Nugteren was a standout player for London Christian, where he played until the end of his grade 11 year.

In addition to his play with Huron Park and NEDA, Nugteren who plans to enter TWU’s School of Business to earn a degree in Business Administration, has also been a part of Ontario’s Regional Elite Development Program and was a member of Waterloo Wildhawks AAU team and an AAU team out of Pittsburgh in the summer of 2008.

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 14 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Last Updated: 2010-02-12
Author: Scott Stewart