ELI TO TWU

Eli Mara

MEN’S BASKETBALL (ANNOUNCEMENT)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2010
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ELI TO TWU

LANGLEY, British Columbia
– On Friday afternoon at White Rock Christian Academy guard Eli Mara officially committed to play for the Trinity Western University men’s basketball team for the 2010-11 season.

“Eli is a blue chip athlete who will have an immediate impact with our program. He is a lock down defender and an explosive offensive threat who will be a fan favourite with his push the ball and above the rim style of play,” commented TWU head coach Scott Allen. “Eli is self confident and disciplined and he understands what it takes to compete with the best.”

The White Rock Christian Academy guard has been recognized as one of the top players coming out of high school this year. He has averaged 20 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and three steals with the Warriors.

According to ESPN’s University scouting website Mara “excels in the open court due to his savvy and burst. In addition, he has an extra gear and if the defence isn’t ready he’ll ram home a dunk in traffic. His feel for the game is tremendous, his passing is high level and he delivers passes with either hand with equal aplomb. He can knock down the mid-range shot and has an advanced game and appears to be that perfect glue-guy.”

Mara, an honours student who plans to study business at TWU, has earned numerous individual and team honours. As a Warrior Mara has earned MVP honours at the Fraser Valley and Emerald City
Tournaments and has lead his team to two final four appearances and a finals appearance at the BC Boys High School Championship and the Fraser Valley Championship in 2008 and 2009.

The six foot five inch point guard, who will help alleviate the Spartans speed issues on the perimeter, was also a member of the BC Provincial Team in 2007 and 2008.

Mara, whose older brother Tyrell is currently with the Spartans, commented on attending TWU in the fall.
“I picked TWU because the basketball environment is familiar to me, I know that the coaches are 100 percent dedicated into making me a better person and player. Playing at Trinity Western will also give me the opportunity to play with my older brother which I never got to do in high school and something that is very special to me. I also believe that I can step in and help the Trinity Western Spartans accomplish their goal of winning a national championship.”

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 14 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Last Updated: 2010-02-22
Author: Scott Stewart