SPARTANS SIGN NORTH VANCOUVER PRODUCT

Jeffers with dunk

MEN’S BASKETBALL (ANNOUNCEMENT)
THURSDAY MAY 6, 2010
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN NORTH VANCOUVER PRODUCT

LANGLEY, British Columbia
– The Trinity Western University men’s basketball team took a big step in solidifying their forward position for the future by signing Jesse Jeffers for the 2010-11 campaign.

The 6-foot-6 forward from Argyle Secondary comes to a team loaded with talent at his position but Spartans coach Scott Allen is excited about Jeffers’ vast potential beyond this year.

“Jesse is a vital addition to Spartans basketball,” Allen said. “We are confident that Jesse will help fill the forward spot when Jacob [Doerksen] and Tyrell [Mara] graduate. Jesse has excellent touch and has an innate ability to score, which was witnessed many times in the past year. Jesse is a great slasher and scorer and will most likely play the wing where he can use his athleticism and strong leaping ability.”

Jeffers, who averaged 31 points per game – including 50 points in a 79-77 win over Sir Charles Tupper –  earned the top scorer honours at the 2010 BC Boys AAA Basketball Championship. His impressive showing at the PNE Agrodome put him in similar company with fellow Spartans Doerksen and Calvin Westbrook, who also led the provincial tournament in scoring during their high school careers. Doerksen, with 54 points, Westbrook, with 52 points and Jeffers only trail Sam Vandermeulen, with 58 points in 1965, for the tournament single game scoring record.

Jeffers joins the Spartans after collecting a bevy of on-court accolades, including being named North Shore League MVP each of the past two seasons and playing on the U-15, U-16 and U-17 BC Provincial teams, and feels TWU is the perfect fit.

“I believe that TWU is a great school for athletics, academics and helping me to grow in my spiritual life,” Jeffers said. “The Human Kinetics program offers a variety of options for future careers and fits my goal to become a coach, teacher and/or a professional basketball player. The basketball program has excellent facilities, trainers and coaches and I know I will be able to develop and reach my highest potential as a basketball player.”

Jeffers could do more watching and learning than actual playing in his first season as a Spartan, but Allen is confident TWU has signed an all-around athlete who will be a strong contributor to the school both on and off the court.

“Jesse will fit into our model of being a well balanced student athlete,” Allen said. “Jesse understands that the classroom, community involvement and life experiences run parallel with our basketball success.”

Jeffers joins a 2010 recruiting class that includes Kyle Coston, Lucas Nugteren and Eli Mara and 2009 redshirt transfer from UFV Tristen Smith.

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 14 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Last Updated: 2010-05-06
Author: Mark Janzen