MEN’S BASKETBALL OFF TO EUROPE FOR MISSIONS TRIP

Calvin Westbrook

MENS BASKETBALL (ANNOUNCEMENT)
FRIDAY, MAY 13, 2010
MISSIONS TRIP

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEN’S BASKETBALL OFF TO EUROPE FOR MISSIONS TRIP

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
The Trinity Western University men’s basketball team leaves Saturday for a 17-day missions and training trip that will take the group through Italy, Croatia and Montenegro.

The humanitarian portion of the trip will focus largely on helping in several orphanages, volunteering in an institute for people suffering from paraplegia and helping to run local basketball clinics. The team will begin its trip in Italy – starting in Rome, then traveling to Florence and then Ancona – and then will go to Dubrovnik, in Croatia, before finishing in Montenegro.   

“This is an amazing opportunity to do God's work," said Spartans forward Lucas Nugteren. "It will also be a life experience for my teammates and I to have the opportunity to reach out and help those you need it.”

This will be the second trip for the Spartans men’s basketball team in as many years as the squad travelled to South Africa last spring with the organization Hoops for Hope. But with a number of key fifth-year players no longer with the team, including Jacob Doerksen and Tyrell Mara, the intention of this year’s trip is very much about building a cohesive foundation for the upcoming basketball season.

“It allows our team to really discuss what our mission is for next year,” said Spartans coach Scott Allen. “I think we have most of our future players going on the trip and what it does is it allows us to talk about our team goals, what are our aspirations and just how we can keep each other accountable.”

Spartans guard Calvin Westbrook added: “We’re going to have a chance to bond as a new team. A lot of the younger guys will be playing more minutes and have more impact on the game this year and I think the trip gives us a chance to build a new team. It’s the first thing we’ve done without all the old guys.”

The team will return to Canada May 31.

The Spartans are coming off a CIS silver medal winning season. After qualifying for the national championship tournament for the first time in history, the Spartans beat Lakehead in the quarter-finals and UBC in the semifinals before falling to Carleton in the gold medal match.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2011-05-13
Author: Mark Janzen