SPARTANS SIGN ONTARIO COLLEGES ALL-STAR

Denny McDonald

MEN’S BASKETBALL
MONDAY, MAY 7, 2012
RECRUIT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS SIGN ONTARIO COLLEGES ALL-STAR

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western men’s basketball team acquired its first major piece of the off-season Monday as Spartans coach Scott Allen announced the signing of college transfer Denmark McDonald (Mississauga, Ont.).

The 6-foot-5 graduate of Brehm Preparatory School (2010) in Carbondale, Ill., who can play both the perimetre and post positions, will join the Spartans after attending Ontario’s Sheridan College last year. Prior to that, McDonald – who attended Vaughan, Ontario’s St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School from 2006 to 2009 – played for one year at Moberly Area Community College in Moberly, Mo. He will enter the CIS with three years of eligibility remaining.

This past season with the Bruins, McDonald averaged 16.6 points per game (11th in the OCAA (Ontario Colleges Athletic Association) and second on his team), 8.5 rebounds per game (eighth in the OCAA and first on his team) and shot 56.3 per cent from the field (2nd in the OCAA and first on his team) as he was named an OCAA West Division Second Team All-Star.

“Denny is an extremely strong athlete who can play a variety of roles on our team,” said Spartans coach Scott Allen. “We’re fortunate to have had Denny choose to finish his university career at Trinity Western as he is an excellent student-athlete who will make an immediate impact on our program. Denny's athleticism is at a very high level and he will fit perfectly into with our high-scoring offence. Denny embraces the Complete Champion Approach and lives his life with integrity and passion.”

McDonald played club basketball with three different teams over the years including the Mississauga Wolverines (2006-07), Brampton Warriors (2007-08) and CIA Bounce (2008-2010).

“This is a great opportunity for me and I’m really excited about the chance to play CIS basketball at Trinity Western,” said McDonald, who is still undecided on his area of study. “I’m thrilled to get to meet new people, become family with my team and the students at Trinity Western and achieve the goals I have set as an individual as and a team.”  

-TW-

Last Updated: 2012-07-17
Author: Mark Janzen