MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS DELTA POINT GUARD

Lucas Goossen

MEN’S BASKETBALL
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 20, 2012
RECRUIT SIGNING

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS DELTA POINT GUARD

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western men’s basketball team strengthened its backcourt for years to come with the signing of local point guard Lucas Goossen (Delta, B.C.) Wednesday.

The 6-foot-2, 175-pound graduate-to-be of Delta Secondary will join the Spartans this fall following a stellar high school season, one in which he averaged a double-double per game, playing for his hometown Pacers. Goossen posted an average of 28 points, 10 rebounds, four steals and two blocks per game as he was the leader on a young Delta side.

For his efforts, Goossen, who in one particular game this year put up a career-high 54 points, was one of a select few invited to the B.C. high school provincial all-star game.

“Lucas is an outstanding student-athlete who brings an ability on the court to be a lead guard who thinks pass first,” said Spartans coach Scott Allen. “Lucas makes great timely decisions and is very unassuming in his style of play. I feel Lucas is the best point guard to come out of B.C. in quite some time. He is extremely athletic and has great range beyond the arc. We are fortunate to sign Lucas and I know he will have an impact on our team both on and off the court, as he is such a well-rounded individual.”

Apart from his high school team, Goossen has also developed his game playing club basketball with DRIVE Basketball and hopes to continue his impressive trajectory at the university level.

“The education level is very good at Trinity Western and I have heard nothing but good things about the school on the whole,” said Goossen, who plans to study business accounting. “Whoever I talk to, it seems the students love Trinity Western and, of course, the basketball program is very good as well.”

Goossen joins already signed Spartans men’s basketball recruits Denny McDonald (Mississauga, Ont.), Mark Perrin (Toronto, Ont.), Jesse Hilleary (Logan City, Queensland, Australia) and Matthew Blackaby (Maple Ridge, B.C.).

About Trinity Western Men’s Basketball

The Spartans are coming off a 2011-12 campaign in which they finished the regular season with a 10-8 record and qualified for the Canada West playoffs by clinching the wild card position. The Spartans lost in the opening round of the playoffs against Prairie Division regular season champion and Canada West bronze medalist Saskatchewan.

Trinity Western is looking to get back to the CIS national championship after capturing a silver medal in its first ever appearance at the men’s basketball Final 8, in 2010-11. After knocking off Canada West gold medalist UBC in the national championship semifinal, the Spartans lost to Carleton 82-59 in the 2010-11 CIS championships game.

The Spartans men’s basketball team has been competing at the CIS level since 1999.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2012-07-17
Author: Mark Janzen