Larry Hayashi, M.A.
Instructor in Linguistics
MA Linguistics (University of Oregon) 1991; BEd Secondary Sciences (University of Alberta) 1986; BSc Biology (University of Alberta) 1984
- Hayashi, L., Hatton, J., & Moe, R. 2011. A proposed work-flow and software toolset for community dictionary development and distribution. In K. Akasu & S. Uchida (Eds.), Lexicography: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives. pp. 150-159. Presented at the ASIALEX 2011, Kyoto Terrsa, Kyoto, Japan: The Asian Association for Lexicography.
- 2006 (with Keith Snider) The Comparative African Wordlist Project. Presented at the 37th Annual Conference on African Linguistics, Univeristy of Oregon, Eugene.
- 2002 (with Mik Maxwell and Gary Simons) A morphological glossing assistant. In Peter Austin, Helen Dry and Peter Wittenburg (eds.), Proceedings of the International LREC Workshop on Resources and Tools in Field Linguistics, Las Palmas, 26-27 May 2002, 25-1 through 25-10: ISLE and DoBeS. (http://papers.ldc.upenn.edu/LREC2002/Morph_Gloss_Asst.pdf)
- 2001 (with John Hatton) Combining UML, XML and relational database technologies - the best of all worlds for robust linguistic databases. In Proceedings of the IRCS Workshop on Linguistic Databases , eds. Steven Bird; Peter Buneman; and Mark Liberman, 115-124. Philadelphia: Institute for Research in Cognitive Science.
- 2000 Discovering and testing linguistic generalizations using interactive concordances. In electronic Proceedings of the Talkbank Linguistic Exploration Workshop: New Methods for Creating, Exploring and Disseminating Linguistic Field Data. Chicago. (http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/exploration/LSA/)
Hayashi, L., Hatton, J., & Moe, R. 2011. A proposed work-flow and software toolset for community dictionary development and distribution. In K. Akasu & S. Uchida (Eds.), Lexicography: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives. pp. 150-159. Presented at the ASIALEX 2011, Kyoto Terrsa, Kyoto, Japan: The Asian Association for Lexicography.
Courses Taught at TWU
- Field Methods: Data Management & Analysis
- Functional typological linguistics
- Language software development for descriptive linguistics
- FieldWorks development: http://fieldworks.sil.org
- Phonology Assistant development: http://phonologyassistant.sil.org
- Comparative African Wordlist Project: http://wordlist.canil.ca
- Sm'algyax Living Legacy Talking Dictionary: http://smalgyax.unbc.ca/
Larry Hayashi works in School of Graduate Studies, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, and ACTS in the departments of MA Linguistics, and Linguistics.