Robert Burkinshaw, Ph.D.
Professor of History; Dean, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences; Director, Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Humanities
BTh (Vancouver Bible College); B.A. (Hons.) (British Columbia). M.A. (Waterloo); Ph.D (British Columbia).
- “Native Pentecostalism in British Columbia” in Canadian Pentecostalism: Transition and Transformation (Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2009); 142-170.
- Christian Perspectives on History” in Christian Worldview (Hamilton: McMaster Divinity College Press, 2009); 278-289.
- Pilgrims in Lotus Land: Conservative Protestantism in British Columbia, 1917-1981 (Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1995), 353 pages.
- "The Funding of Evangelical Higher Education in the United States and Canada in the post-war period," in More Money, More Ministry: Money and Evangelicals in Recent North American History, ed. Mark Noll and Larry Eskridge (Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co, 2000): 272-97.
- "Evangelical Bible Colleges in Twentieth Century Canada," in Aspects of the Canadian Evangelical Experience, ed. George Rawlyk (Montreal & Kingston: McGill- Queen's University Press, 1997): 369-84.
- "Conservative Evangelicalism in the Twentieth-Century 'West': British Columbia and the United States," George Rawlyk and Mark A. Noll, eds., Amazing Grace: Studies on Evangelicalism in the United States, Canada, Britain, Australia and Beyond (Kingston & Montreal & Grand Rapids, Mich.: McGill-Queens Press & Baker Books, 1994.): 317-48.
- "The Double Paradox: Evangelicalism in 20th Century British Columbia," Journal of the Canadian Church Historical Society , XXXVIII, 1 (April 1996): 77-100.
- "Pentecostalism and Fundamentalism in British Columbia: 1921-1927," Fides et Historia: Journal of the Conference on Faith and History, XXIV:1 (Winter/Spring 1992): 68-80.
- "Conservative Protestantism and the Modernist Challenge in Vancouver, 1917-1927," BC Studies 85 (Spring 1990): 24-42.
Awards & Honours
- SSHRC ASU grants
- Norman McKenzie (H.R. Macmillan)
- Graduate Fellowship, UBC
- Outstanding History Honours (J.H. Stewart Reid Medal) UBC
Notable accomplishments and experiences
- President, Canadian Society of Church History, 1995
- Chair, Academic Review Board for Canada: Portraits of Faith, Michael Clarke, ed., (Chilliwack: Reel to Reel, 1998)
- Dean, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, TWU, 1999
- Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences and Education, TWU, 1997 - 1999
- Chair, Department of History and Political Science, TWU, 1989 - 99
Robert Burkinshaw works in School of Graduate Studies in the department of MA Interdisciplinary Humanities.