Academic and Professional Appointments
- 2001-Present: Clinical Supervisor, M.A. Counselling Psychology, TWU.
- 2002-2003: Program Developer and Instructor, Community Support Work program, Sprott-Shaw Community College.
- 2004-present-Director, Fraser River Counselling, Trinity Western University, Langley, BC.
- 1991-2002-Executive Director, The Ark Child Services Society, Burnaby, BC.
- 1989-1994-Family Counsellor, Family Services of Greater Vancouver, Vancouver, BC.
- 1988-1992-Counsellor and Program Coordinator, The Burnaby Counselling Group, Burnaby,BC.
- 1987-1988-Youth Counsellor, Youth Guidance, Vancouver, BC.
- 1983-1984-Youth Counsellor and Program Director, Reynold’s Creek Boys’ Ranch, Cusick, Washington.
- April-May 2008 - Instructor, Counsellor Education Workshops, Semarang, and Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia. Conducted workshops on child therapy, family therapy and group counselling for graduate students at Universitas Katolik Soegijapranata, local psychologists, and university instructors from various universities in Central Java.
- July-August 2007 - Trainer, One Eye Integration Trauma Therapy Training, Aceh, Sumatra and Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia. Trained graduate students in Counselling Psychology from Universitas Katolik Soegijapranata.
- December 2005 – 2006 - Team Leader, One Eye Integration Trauma Therapy Training, Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia. Trained psychologists and counselors in Aceh under the auspices of Millenium Relied and Development Services.
- Langley Child and Youth Committee
- Langley Middle Childhood Matters Committee
- Child and Family Development Center (Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia), Board member
Research & Scholarship
- Present - Doctor of Education (candidate), Educational Leadership - Postsecondary; Simon Fraser University
- 1991 - Master of Education, University, Human and Learning Development; Boston
- 1983 - Master of Arts, Christian Education; Seattle Pacific University
- 1978 - Bachelor of Arts; Lutheran Bible Institute Biblical Studies
- Child therapy
Awards & Honors
Presentations and Consultation
Begalka, B. & McDonald, M. (2010). International collaboration for hybridized strategies for professional education in psychotherapy: Indonesia, Canada, and competency based curricular development in higher education. Paper presented (virtual) at the International Network for Technology and Educational Development, Valencia, Spain, March 9, 2010.first reference.
Begalka, B. & McDonald, M. (2010). Hybridized strategies for professional education in psychotherapy: Indonesia, Canada, and competency based curriculum development. Paper presented at the Java Institute in Semarang, Java, Indonesia, August 2 – 4, 2010.
McDonald, M. & Begalka, B. (2010). Intersectional forms of professional identity for counselling psychology in Canada: Promoting justice-based professional advocacy. Paper presented at the Canadian Counselling Psychology Conference (subdivision of the Canadian Psychological Association) at McGill University, November 19 – 21, 2010.
Begalka, B. (2011). Guidelines for collaborations in transnational lhigher education program development in counselling psychology. Paper presented at the Higher Education, Globalization and Social Justice – CSSHE Autumn Conference (Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education), at Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., November 3-4, 2011.
Consultation with University of Northern British Columbia Counselling Psychology Department in establishing a practicum training facility/program, Fall 2008 – March 2010.
Consultation with Universitas Katolik Soegijapranata (Semarang, Java, Indonesia) Department of Professional Psychology in developing a master’s program in counselling psychology, Summer 2007 – present.
Consultation with Universitas Kristen Satya Wacana (Salatiga, Java, Indonesia) Psychology Department in developing a trauma training and research centre. August 2009 – present.
Consultation with The Child & Family Development Center, (Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia) in developing an integrated services centre for children and families, August 2009 – present.
Consultation with Universitas Kristen Krida Wacana, Faculty of Psychology, Summer 2011 – present.
Original Professional Presentation
Sand tray therapy: An integrative approach. Workshop presented to counsellors in the Langley School District and regional Ministry for Child and Family Development counsellors, Langley, B.C., November 14, 2009.
Children of separation & divorce: An integrative counselling approach. Workshop presented to Newton (Surrey) Ministry for Child and Family Development, February 11, 2010.
Observed Experiental Integration, adapted to Indonesian culture. Six-week training presented at Universitas Katolik Soegijapranata (Semarang, Java, Indonesia) and Universitas Kristen Satya Wacana (Salatiga, Java, Indonesia), July – August 2009.
Affiliations & Memberships
- British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors
- International Association for Counselling
- Canadian Psychological Association
- CPSY 591/592-Practicum
- CPSY 691/692-Internship Seminar 1