Funding Deadlines and Opportunities
(In order of deadline dates)
Globalink Research Internship (GRI) projects for Summer 2017. GRI pairs faculty in Canada with international undergrads for 12-week research projects from May to September.
Submit projects by June 16, 2016, at 5 p.m. PDT.
- All disciplines are eligible
- Top-ranked senior undergrads from Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Tunisia
- For additional application information, consult the 2017 Globalink Faculty Application Guide
Mitacs Accelerate supports collaborations between university researchers and partner organizations for four months or longer. Apply any time.
Gain a competitive edge in the job market
Mitacs Step offers free skills training to grad students and postdocs. Workshops are available online and on campus.
Do research abroad with an industry partner
With the Mitacs Globalink Partnership Award, graduate students in Canada can travel abroad for a research project with an international industry partner.
The Royal-Mach-Gaensslen Prize for Mental Health Research
Applications are now being accepted for The Royal-Mach-Gaensslen Prize for Mental Health Research, which was established by The Royal’s Institute of Mental Health Research (IMHR) in 2015 to recognize and support Canadian early-career researchers with a focus in the area of mental health.
The annual national Prize provides funding to outstanding rising star career researchers who are affiliated with a Canadian academic or clinical research institution in the field of mental health, to encourage them to continue to pursue their research interests. It recognizes those with a demonstrated track record in research with excellence in scientific rigor, innovative thinking, imagination and originality and a clear ability to work in partnership with other disciplines and/or research teams external to the institution with which they are affiliated.
The annual Prize is funded by a generous donation from the Mach-Gaensslen Foundation of Canada, building upon the wishes of its founders, Mr. Vaclav Mach and Dr. Hanni Gaensslen, to support mental health research. Each year for ten years, $100,000 will be awarded to one person or a research team of up to three persons per competition. The Prize is awarded with the expectation that the recipient(s) will continue to demonstrate excellence in their field of work. If no appropriate candidate is found, the Prize will be deferred for one year.
Candidates shall be exceptional rising star researchers who are 45 years of age or younger at the application date, are Canadian citizens or have landed immigrant status in Canada and are currently residing in Canada or are residing abroad but are committed to return to Canada within six months from the date the Prize is awarded. In addition, they shall be affiliated with a Canadian academic or clinical institution and their research shall be in a mental health discipline. Please refer to the Prize Guidelines for full eligibility requirements and additional application details.
The 2016 deadline for applications is July 15, 2016
The application and procedure to apply are fully described in the attached forms. Application packages are also available on our website at http://www.theroyal.ca/research/about-imhr/the-royal-mach-gaensslen-prize-for-mental-health-research/
Should you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Fulbright Canada Programs
See website for various awards, Application deadline is November 2016
Inquiries: Michelle Emond, Program Officer (Students), firstname.lastname@example.org
For students in Canada to do research abroad:
- Globalink Research Award – MHRD India
- Open to senior undergraduate and graduate students
- 12-week projects at one of seven Indian Institutes of Technology
- $5,000 award and a local grant equivalent to $5,000
- Globalink Research Award – Inria
- Open to graduate students
- 12- to 24-week projects at an Inria Research Centre in France
- $5,000 award and a monthly stipend
- Globalink Research Award – MHESR Tunisia
- Open to senior undergraduates and graduate students
- 12- to 24-week projects at accredited universities in Tunisia
- $7,000 award
For students in France to do research in Canada:
- Globalink Research Award – Inria
- Open to PhD students at Inria Research Centres in France
- 12- to 24-week research projects at Canadian universities
- $5,000 award, a PhD stipend, and airfare
Mitacs Elevate is now accepting applications for two-year postdoctoral funding:
- $55,000 annual award (plus $7,500 per year non-cash value in training)
- Customized training exclusive to Elevate fellows
- Long-term collaborative research project with a non-academic partner
- Letter of intent: Deadline has passed
- Application: Deadline has passed
- Results announced: June 2016
Step provides career skills training to grad students and postdocs. Workshops take place on university campuses.
Deadlines for this year have passed.
Michael Smith Foundation
MSFHR's 2016 Trainee Program competition for post-doctoral fellowship awards is less than two weeks away.
Trainee awards are a core element of MSFHR's investment in building and sustaining BC's health research excellence under our strategic goal #1 ("People"). These awards provide up to three years of salary support to help outstanding up-and-coming investigators develop their research careers.
Scholar Program. Starting with this year's competitions, MSFHR is pleased to offer both Scholar and Trainee programs on an annual basis as part of an expanded suite of programs that will broaden and enhance our support for health research and its application in British Columbia.
Deadlines for 2016 have passed.
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award Details can be found here .
Deadline for 2016 has passed
Research Office's Internal Deadline
The RO deadline is 2 weeks before the sponsor deadline for most applications and proposals. Two weeks provides RO with time to review the application package and return it to the researcher in the event that any changes are required before the submission.
Exceptions to the two week deadline are Canada Research Chairs (CRC), Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), and RO-Administered Internal Grants. Applicants are encourages to work with RO at the earliest stage of application.
Other programs may have exceptions as well. These exceptions are communicated to researchers via group email list.
Other Internal Deadlines
Some units may have their own internal review deadlines. Applicants should check with their department, faculty to see if there are internal deadlines for review and signing of applications/proposals.
These deadlines are obtained from agency websites but are subject to change. Prospective applicants are encouraged to review agency websites and correspondence for current deadline dates.
- University of Toronto Database: Provides information on awards, honours, and prizes which have an upcoming application deadline.
- CORDIS: Information about Research & Development sponsored by the European Union.
- Institute of Education Sciences
- Science Careers: From the Journal Science
Other Funding Agencies (Canadian)
- BC Innovation Council
- Canada Council for the Arts
- Canada Foundation for Innovation
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR)
- Canadian Funding Sources for Learning Technologies Developers
- Canadian Heritage
- Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research (CIMVHR)
- Canadian Network for the Advancement of Research, Industry and Technology (CANARIE)
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute
- Genome Canada
- Health Canada
- Industry Canada
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- Manning Innovation Awards
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- MITACS Accelerate Canada
- Occupational Health and Safety Agency for Healthcare in BC (OHSAH)
- The Daniel Langois Foundation for Art, Science and Technology
- The Royal Society of Canada
USA Granting Agencies
Christian Funding Agencies
- American Academy of Religion
- Association for the Sociology of Religion
- Religious Research Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Templeton Foundation
- Wabash Center