If you have any questions regarding transfer credit not answered below, please contact transfer@twu.ca. Trinity Western University reserves the right to accept only such courses as comply with the academic standards established by TWU and with the requirements for graduation. Course descriptions/syllabi may be requested to assist with evaluation. Transfer credit is awarded up to a maximum of 75 semester hours for all acceptable courses with a passing grade from various accredited universities and community colleges. Various individual transfer credit maximums and restrictions for accredited Bible Colleges/Institutes of Technology and Applied Arts are detailed in the Transfer Students section of your Academic Calendar.

Where do I find my current Transfer Credit?

You can find your Transfer Credit Record through your Academics Section, listed as Transfer Credit Record. Please note, it is important that you bring your Transfer Credit Record with you to all advising sessions, as it is the only document that lists any waivers or caveats regarding your transfer credit.

How do I receive transfer credit at TWU?

If you are an incoming student who has never attended TWU, the transfer credit evaluation of your declared transcripts begins automatically once you are admitted to TWU. Please note that you must declare all previous academic history during the application process and no previous credit will be granted if not declared prior to attendance. Due to the volume of transfer credit applications we receive, we cannot offer preliminary evaluations for transfer credit. To learn more, visit our Admission Page!

If you are a current student, you must get permission prior to taking any external courses if you would like to receive transfer credit. The process is referred to as a Letter of Permission Request (LOP), see section below for details.

Is credit granted for IB or AP work?

Credit is often granted for International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) course work that received a minimum grade of 4 or higher. IB Standard Level is not accepted, only Higher Level. To see how and what will transfer specifically, visit BC Transfer Guide.

Transfer Credit is only granted from official IB and AP transcripts for incoming students. High school transcripts and predicted grades are not acceptable. Please contact IB or College Board directly and have the send official transcripts to TWU Admissions for evaluation.

What is a Block Transfer?

A group of unassigned credits that transfer as general lower level credit only. A block is just a convenient way to list a larger number of credits from an outside institution that do not receive any specific credit at TWU.

What is Specific or Direct Credit?

Specific credit is when a course is a direct equivalent of a specific TWU class. A course may be evaluated to receive specific credit when we receive substantial information about the content of the courses (ie. a syllabus, which should include a detailed outline of the course including exams, papers, textbooks, materials etc). Submitting proper documentation does not guarantee specific credit, but does allow the course to be thoroughly evaluated, which increases the likelihood that this can happen. This is a beneficial way for the student to get the most out of the hard work they have already put in.

What is Unassigned or General Credit?

Unassigned credit is when a course falls under a TWU faculty (ie. MATH, ART, HIST) but does not have a specific/direct course match. General credit (GENS) is when a course does not quite fit into a faculty, but TWU acknowledges that it is academically sound and may receive elective credit.

Unassigned and General credits are listed as ‘[DEPT] #00 level transfer credit’. Some examples are as follows: ‘BIOL 200 level transfer credit’, ‘ART 100 level transfer credit’, or ‘GENS 300 level transfer credit’. When granted, these courses may always apply to your general elective credits. Unassigned credit might be acceptable to apply towards some program requirements, but students will need to speak to their academic advisor for that determination.

General and Unassigned credit may not apply towards Inquiry: Ways of Knowing (core) requirements (see English waiver exception below).  General credits do not waive prerequisites for specific courses unless specified on a student’s Transfer Credit Record. They do, however, contribute to overall hours earned which may be used to enter 2nd, 3rd or 4th year courses. There is no limit to how much general or unassigned credit makes up a student’s transfer credit.


A Transfer credit waiver is when unassigned credit is granted, but the requirement for a specific course is waived. Example: “ART 100 level transfer credit (3), waives ART 181”.

Waivers meet the Inquiry: Ways of Knowing (core) requirements. So in the example above, a student would be waived from ART 181 as a program requirement or the Aesthetic & Performance Inquiry requirement in the Core.

ENGL Waiver Exception

The one exception to a non-specific waiver being accepted towards the Inquiry: Ways of Knowing (core) requirements, is for an unassigned English course with a Literary (LIT) or Composition (COMP) waiver. The course must be listed as “ENGL 100 level transfer credit (3) LIT; waives ENGL 103 or 104” or “ENGL 100 level transfer credit (3) COMP; waives ENGL 103 or 104”.

A LIT or COMP waiver may apply towards the Academic Research & Writing Core Requirement. Please note that if a student has two ‘COMP’ waivers, only one may count towards the core requirement, the other would just receive the unassigned credit:

               LIT + LIT = waive ENGL 103 + 104
               LIT + COMP = waive ENGL 103 +104
               COMP + COMP = ONLY waive ONE, ENGL 103 or 104

Transfer Credit Legend

  • PN = Transfer Credit is Pending. The Transfer Credit Record will indicate the information still needed to process the credit.
  • TR = Transfer Credit evaluation and processing is complete. Nothing more is needed to finalize these credits.
  • LP = Transfer Credit for a Letter of Permission is Pending. The Final and Official Transcript is needed unless otherwise stated.
  • OTN = Official Transcript Needed; In order for a transcript to be considered Official, it must be issued to TWU and sent directly from the issuing institution to TWU in a sealed envelope, via an official institution fax number, or via electronic transcript exchange if applicable. Sealed Envelopes submitted by students or issued to students are not considered official.
  • FTN = Final Transcript Needed (Courses still in progress)
  • INIT = Initial transfer credit. Credit that is taken prior to any enrollment at TWU.
  • TSO = This student only
  • Articulation/Decision/Evaluation = The decision on how one course from another institution transfers to TWU (ie. which course it equals).


COVID-19 FAQ for Letter of Permission courses:

Updated June 23, 2020


Many online institutions, such as TRU, have cancelled or postponed all Spring examinations. If you are enrolled in an online course and had an exam cancelled in Spring or Summer 2020, then you may respond to transfer@twu.ca to request an extension. You must give your name, TWU student ID, host institution and the specific course code (course code from the institution, not the TWU course) you are referring to along with your request.

Extensions are not guaranteed and are only available if you are unable to complete the course in time due to COVID-19.


Graduating students must note that the completion date of a course may still affect your TWU degree conferral date. If you have questions about how your course completion will affect your degree conferral, please email twugraduation@twu.ca.


TWU does not assess transfer credit for pass/fail courses.  Due to circumstances around COVID-19, post-secondary schools have implemented various compassionate grading policies. For Letters of Permission completed during Spring 2020 only, TWU will assess compassionate pass/fails on a case-by-case basis.


If a course can be taken at TWU, then you should do so. The TWU online courses this summer and fall have increased capacity and there are plenty of options for Ways of Knowing Requirements. This will help accommodate schedules and you can work with your advisor if an Independent Study or Directed Study is needed. You can view the updates to campus for the fall, as well as financial options, here.  If you still need to request to take an outside course, you may follow the instructions found below.


If there are courses listed on your Transfer Credit Record that you no longer intend to take, please email transfer@twu.ca to have them removed. You must give your name, TWU student ID, host institution and the specific course code (course code from the institution, not the TWU course) you are referring to along with your request.


In light of COVID-19, our office is working remotely and will have access to physical mail on a less regular basis. Due to this, please be advised that the receiving and processing of documents may take 4-6 weeks to be completed. If you are concerned, please contact the host institution to request a digital transcript to be sent directly to Admissions@twu.ca, ATTN: Transfer Credit.

We strongly recommend that if you are ordering a transcript to be sent, that you have it sent digitally at this time to Admissions@twu.ca, ATTN: Transfer Credit.

Be advised, not all institutions are offering Official Digital Transcripts at this time.

We hope that this gives some clarity during this uncertain time. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email transfer@twu.ca.

What is a Letter of Permission (LOP)?

A Letter of Permission is prior approval for a course to be taken at another institution and receive TWU transfer credit for it upon successful completion.

To be eligible:

  • Student must be registered in a TWU degree program;
  • Student must be in good financial and academic standing with TWU;
  • Course must be from a TWU recognized accredited institution.

Student Responsibilities:

  • Student must submit a LOP form and any relevant material prior to taking the course. Failing to do so may result in not receiving transfer credit as expected or at all.
  • Student must complete the course requested within one year of receiving LOP approval.
  • Student is responsible for checking all required prerequisites both for the course being taken, and the TWU course granted.
  • Student is responsible for researching courses they hope to receive a LOP for and confirming that it meets their TWU program requirements, grade minimums, and limits. It is strongly encouraged that they consult with their Academic Advisor or the Academic Advising Office when making course selections.
  • NOTE: Courses are not always articulated (transfer decision) as requested. It is the student’s responsibility to review any approval granted to make sure that it is still applicable to their program requirements. If it is not, another LOP Form may be submitted at the cost of the student (when applicable).

Other Information and restrictions:

  • TWU does not grant LOP Transfer credit for the following:
    • Any History course fulfilling the core Historical & Archival Way of Knowing Requirement;
    • Any Religious Studies course fulfilling any Religious & Spiritual Thought Way of Knowing Requirement or Religious Studies Core (2016 or older) Requirement;
    • All Business related courses from TRU-OL, Grand Canyon University, or Liberty Online;
    • Practicum or Experience Based Courses;
    • Nursing courses;
    • Graduate level courses;
    • Pass/Fail courses
  • Timeline: Students are strongly encouraged to submit LOP Requests 2-4 weeks prior to the course registration deadline to allow for document submission, articulation, and any changes that may need to occur.
  • Cost: A $25.00 service fee is required to process Letter of Permission requests for all institutions outside of BC (per institution and up to 5 courses).
  • Syllabi: The submission of a syllabus may be required if a course has not been previously articulated, which means it has not be evaluated by faculty to see what the TWU equivalent is. Syllabi should include a detailed outline of the course including schedule, exams, papers, text books, materials etc.
  • Application for an LOP does not guarantee Transfer Credit. Please see the BC Council on Admissions and Transfer for further information.
  • Core Requirement (Ways of Knowing): In order to obtain transfer credit for Core “Inquiry: Ways of Knowing” Requirements (On all checklists from 2017 on), courses must transfer to TWU as one of the specific courses required. No general or unassigned credit may be applied to the core but is acceptable for some program requirements and elective credits (e.g., “ART 100, 100 level transfer credit” does not apply towards core requirements, but “ART 181” does).
  • Repeated Courses: Courses will not be granted credit if taken more than once, either at TWU or another institution. But, they may be repeated in order to meet a program requirement, thought again, no credit will be granted.

How to Apply:

  1. Print out or digitally fill in this Letter of Permission form.
  2. Attach each course syllabus unless the course is listed and evaluated in the BC Transfer Guide.  Please note that the BC Transfer Guide is a guide only, final decisions are made by TWU alone, via the LOP process.
  3. To submit and pay (when a non BC institution, $25.00 fee per form), there are two options:
    1. Email the completed form to transfer@twu.ca and your student account will be charged; Or
    2. Submit the printed form in person at the Office of the Registrar and pay by cash, debit or credit.
  4. Once the requested courses have been evaluated, you will be notified via the email provided with the decision.
  5. If required by the host institution, you may request that the TWU Office of the Registrar send a formal Letter of Permission to the institution which will serve as the basis for the student's admission as a Visiting Student there. 

Once a LOP course is complete:

  1. Once you complete a course and receive a final grade, you must contact the host institution and have your Official Transcript sent directly to TWU. Upon receiving the transcript (2-4 weeks), you will be notified of your transfer credit being complete. Transcripts may be sent digitally to Admissions@twu.ca or mailed to:

ATTN: Laura Auxier, Transfer

Admissions, Mattson Centre

Trinity Western University
22500 University Drive
Langley BC, Canada
V2Y 1Y1

  1. You will be notified when the transcript has been received and the credit has been finalized.

If you have read with above information and have any further questions, please contact transfer@twu.ca.


Please consult directly with your School of Graduate Studies (SGS) program director regarding transfer credit.



Please submit a fully completed ACTS Letter of Permission form to the Office of the Registrar, located in the Mattson Centre. A $5.00 service fee is required upon submission of the Letter of Permission for processing.