On reviewing the overall level of interest in the TESOL Certificate, Trinity Western University will no longer be accepting new applications into this program. However, several of the outcomes of the program can be met through the BA in Linguistics, the World Languages and Culture program, or a Minor in Special Education, and we encourage you to explore these options. These programs offer courses where you will engage with language, language learning, and education. Learn more about Program Closures
Acquire practical skills and theoretical training in a globally recognized, faith-based program that will equip you to teach in Canada or internationally.
TWU’s TESOL Program is a comprehensive university accredited program that provides a solid foundation for teaching English in our multilingual, multicultural world. The program includes the following four core components:
- principles of teaching language
- knowledge of the English language
- cross-cultural communications
- experience in the ESOL classroom
Why take TESOL?
Educators with TESOL training are very marketable, especially in a multilingual, multicultural environment as diverse as Canada. Training in TESOL is also valuable for overseas teaching and an excellent preparation for missions and cross-cultural work.
The TWU TESOL program is designed for
- Post-degree students who have completed a bachelor's degree and would like to add a TESOL certificate
- Pre-degree students who may or may not wish to apply the credits toward a bachelor's degree
- Current students wishing to pursue a TESOL emphasis in their undergraduate program at TWU or in partnering institutions
- Current teachers in the public or private education field who wish to add a TESOL specialization
- International students or teachers who have met the language requirements
Three certificate options to choose from
- TESOL Certificate Regular Strand 26 credits Acquire a thorough understanding of English language teaching for today's world. This certificate meets TESOL.org standards.
- TESOL Certificate TESL Canada Strand 27 credits Prepare to teach in Canada with immigrants or internationals. This certificate qualifies you for TESL Canada Standard II.
- Certificate in Fundamentals of English Language Teaching 10 credits Obtain a foundation in teaching English locally or abroad.
Take one course per semester, complete a short certificate in one semester, or finish the full certificate in just one year. All courses are offered in the evenings or on weekends. Have questions? Contact us today!
TWU’s TESOL Certificate Regular Strand exceeds the TESOL.org Standards for Short-Term TEFL/TESL Certificate Programs. TESOL.org is “an international association of professionals advancing the quality of English language teaching through professional development, research, standards, and advocacy.”
TWU’s TESOL Certificate TESL Canada Strand is recognized by TESL Canada. Individuals with a bachelor’s degree who complete the TWU 27-credit TESOL Certificate TESL Canada Strand qualify for TESL Canada Standard 2 (Interim). It is the student’s responsibility to apply for this further accreditation. TESL Canada promotes advocacy for ESL learners, unifies teachers and learners by providing a forum and network capabilities, supports the sharing of knowledge and experiences across Canada, and represents diverse needs and interests in TESL nationally and internationally.
TESOL Certificate Grads
TESOL graduates have promising careers in a variety of areas of ESL / EFL teaching and in teacher training in TESL Certificate and MA TESOL programs. Alumni are currently working in Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, India, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, France, Switzerland, The Philippines, Germany, Mexico, Uruguay, Canada, U.S.A., and Australia.