Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Placement Test
Trinity Western University, Langley campus
The information on this page relates only to CAEL testing at the Langley campus of TWU. If you would like to register for a test on the Richmond campus, please email email@example.com
Please note: Results from the CAEL placement test at TWU are valid only for entrance to TWU. If you would like to register for a general CAEL Placement Test, please contact Paragon Testing Enterprises who will be able to refer you to the appropriate testing site.
Booking an appointment
To see available dates and book an appointment in Langley...
- Please review the information below
- Then please click here to book an appointment
Please arrive 15 minutes early with:
- valid government photo-ID
- your method of payment (see below)
When you arrive:
- Arrive at the TWU Extension office, which is located in the Northwest Building (NWB) on the Langley campus of Trinity Western University.
(Please see below for driving directions and building location).
- Limited parking is available in front of the Extension Office, and pay parking is available on campus.
- Register at the front desk. You will need your photo ID.
- Pay for the test. See payment information below.
- The test administrator will walk you to the testing room and will give you instructions throughout the test.
Please arrive at the TWU Extension office in the Northwest Building (NWB) on the Langley campus of Trinity Western University.
For travel directions to TWU's Langley campus, please click here.
To find the Northwest Building within our campus, please click here to download our campus map.
Please pay when you arrive/check in.
The cost for the CAEL assessment is $185. Please pay by Debit, Mastercard or Visa.
Note: You will receive a coupon for $100, which you can redeem if you enrol in TWU undergrad, BA leadership, TLC, or UT1 programs.
What to bring
Pens and pencils
Photo ID (passport or driver’s license)
Please turn off cell phones and all electronic devices and put them away.
You may have only your pen/pencil and a beverage on the desk.
Should you need to use the washroom during the test, a TWU staff member will escort you.
- Reading section: approximately 50 minutes (two or three readings on the same topic)
- Listening/Lecture section: approximately 25 minutes (same topic as the readings)
- Writing section: 45 minutes (same topic as readings and lecture)
Note: The lecture, readings, and writing assignment are all regular first year university tasks.
*TWU does not include the Oral Language Response (Speaking) section.
You can do a practice test at http://www.cael.ca/taker/practice.shtml and you can also order a Test-takers Preparation Guide, if you choose. (Cost: $50).
Other ways to prepare:
- Read newspaper and magazine articles or academic textbooks. Try to explain them and identify the connections between ideas.
- Watch lectures online, such as TedTalks to practice listening and taking notes.
You will receive a report of your overall score and your section scores. This report will be sent as a pdf to the email address you provide when you register.
You will normally receive your results within one week of your test date.
Your results will also be sent to the appropriate program administrator and to the appropriate data office at TWU.
Note: This score may be used only for admission to TWU programs. If you wish to take the CAEL to apply to other schools, please contact Melinda Dewsbury at MelindaD@twu.ca.
For all questions related to CAEL, please contact:
Professor Melinda Dewsbury
604-513-2121 ext. 3882