Your first year at University is one of the most significant. How you start can shape how well you finish. And we want you to get the best start ever. We’ve created a program to help you thrive!
Are you someone who answers yes to one or more of these questions?
- I want to really enjoy my first year at TWU and do well in my studies
- I know that doing courses at Uni will be different than school and I like the idea of having access to a team of experts to help me get my assignments done
- I want to learn how to study smart at University
- I know that I haven’t really shown my potential at school – I want to shine at University
- I know that I work best when I have someone or some people encouraging me
- I am not entirely sure on my future and I see this first year as a chance to explore possibilities
- I want to make friends quickly
We’ve designed a program just for you!
1. A Clear Plan for You
Your dedicated Academic Advisor & Coach will work with you to design your own unique learning plan for the year. They will listen to your goals, understand your learning strengths, help you choose the right courses for you, and connect you to all the services in TWU (Learning Commons, Registrar, Finances, Student Life, The Wellness Centre) that you may need to implement your plan. And you keep regularly meeting with your Advisor to discuss progress and make changes.
2. Accelerate Your Learning
In your first semester you will receive training in how to be a successful learner at the University level. The interactive classes draw on the latest learning science research and cover a range of topics from note-taking to memorization. Past students rate these classes highly – in particular the sessions on time management, procrastination and managing anxiety – and see them as having life-long application.
3. Gain An Immediate Community
Every TWU student needs to take core classes so we have designed the program to keep LC1 students together for at least 1-2 classes. So in your first semester you will arrive and immediately feel connected. LC1 students are very diverse. They have a variety of academic backgrounds and interests including art, music, business, medicine, psychology, theology, sport, film, gaming. They are just united in a goal to make their first year at university a great one!
The Lived Experience – LC1 2019/2020
I have so appreciated all the help and advice you all have given. I felt so much more prepared and calm knowing that someone had my back and I wasn't alone in this transition to university.
This really got me prepared for year 2. Looking forward to applying the study habits I've learned this year.
It was an amazing experience!I wish they had it every year!
Thanks for everything guys! I felt very supported!! It was a great year!