1. What does my resident student need to bring?

Some of the essentials would be linens, sheets, pillow, towels, wash cloth, hangers, extension cords, laundry soap, coins for laundry, toiletries, clothing for four different seasons, first aid kit, and laundry hamper or bag.

The Housing website from Student Services can answer in more detail what to bring and what not to bring. Any questions regarding housing and meal plans can also be found at the following link: Housing

2. Does my student really need to have a car?

Public transportation is available daily right outside the university gates on University Drive. Click here for details.

As students make friends at school or through a new church community, they will often find transportation through these connections.

3. What about transportation to airports, ferries, and bus depots?

Students are responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from the university. Students going to the airport will sometimes arrange to travel with other students heading home during holidays and share the cost of a cab. As resident students make friends with local commuter students, sometimes these families will offer transportation, as well as staff members who are able. Ultimately, students are responsible for finding their own transportation.

There is an airport shuttle from both Vancouver and Abbotsford International airports that will pick up right on campus. These shuttles must be booked ahead of time and accept only cash as method of payment. (Please check rates and booking times at www.airportlinkshuttle.com.)

On the parent website, there is also discount car rental information for any persons associated with Trinity Western University.

4.  Can non-Canadian students work off-campus?

Yes, “international” students can work off-campus after they have been studying here for six months and up to three years after they have graduated. This only applies to students in certain majors, and because these qualifying majors do change, students would have to be confirmed through the Career Development Office.

5.  Is on-campus student employment available? How do I find student employment?

Students must complete a Financial Aid Application (indicating they wish to be employed on-campus). New students must submit the application to the Financial Aid Office by March 1st, and returning students by March 15th. Students who apply after this deadline will be placed on a wait list.

The Financial Aid Office will determine financial need for each student and rank all students applying for campus employment according to need. Award letters will be sent to all qualified students with their TWU Award package.

Students who are eligible for financial aid can find on-campus employment positions at www.twu.ca/career. Students will apply for employment directly to the campus employer (supervisor) through the website.

All students employed on campus must come to the Learning Commons to complete hiring procedures for employment. Positions posted will range in wage classification, job description, and department.

If you have further questions, please contact Angela Hama (angela.hama@twu.ca) in the Student Employment Office.

6.  What kind of medical services are available on campus?

TWU has a Wellness Centre in Douglas Hall with two physicians, Dr. Derrick Hitchman and Dr. Ruth Demian; a campus nurse; and the director of the Wellness Centre, Michele Regehr.

The Wellness Centre offers counselling, health care, recreation services, and the Learning Commons (formerly Student Success Centre) for students with disabilities. For students needing success coaching and assistance in the Writing Centre: /wellness-centre

7.  What about counselling services?

The initial intake session is free. Beyond this, a student can receive counselling for a nominal fee of $25 per appointment. Starting January 24, 2012, there will be group counselling sessions available concerning depression and issues relating to eating disorders.

8.  Where can my student find a tutor?

Tutors can be found through the Learning Commons.

9.  What can I do to help a student who is “still deciding” on a major?

Direct them to their Academic Advisor.

10.  Is graduation information available on the website?

Yes. Please go to www.twu.ca/academics/office-registrar/graduation.

11.  Do local hotels offer special rates for parents?

Yes, a list of these hotels can be found on the TWU Hotel Information page. Discount car rental rates are also available on the TWU Special Car Rental Rates page. Please mention that you are with TWU.

12. How can I order a Touch of Home gift?

Through the Parent Website. Select Touch of Home Online Order to select cakes, treats, flowers, or balloons and follow the prompts. You can pay by credit card on this secure site. Your student will be notified to pick up the gift at the Student Life office.

13. What is the law in Canada regarding student privacy?

TWU falls under the British Columbia Privacy Act to protect students’ privacy while attending university.

14.  How can I add money to my student’s meal plan?

Students can add money to their meal card at the Campus Service Centre. Money left on a meal card at the end of fall semester will be moved over to the spring semester room-and-board value plan. Please note that the change in semesters from fall to spring is the only time when a remaining meal-plan balance is transferrable. This means that all meal-plan values, including regular and bonus amounts, are forfeited at the end of every spring semester and cannot be forwarded, removed, or used elsewhere on campus. Learn more on our Housing page.

15.  Can commuter students have a meal card?

Yes. Students can do that at the Campus Service Centre. The CSC website offers all the information regarding meal cards. Learn more on our Housing page.

16. What kind of student leadership opportunities are available at TWU?

STUDENT LIFE: Students are leading dorms and chapel, working in campus offices, assisting new students, and helping out in dozens of different ways. Approximately 250 Student Life leaders make TWU work and make campus fun, warm, and inviting. Students must be in their second year of university and have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to apply for student leadership positions. Applications are filled out online and interviews take place in January to hire for September roles.

TWU STUDENT ASSOCIATION: “VP of Academics.” “Director of Events.” “President.” What’s your role? From providing student representation to throwing an outdoor concert to funding outreach and clubs, TWU student government is a pillar of campus life that provides countless opportunities to develop your professional skills while serving others.

STUDENT MEDIA: TWU student media has a record of groundbreaking creativity. Join the buzz of Mars’ Hill, our award-winning student newspaper. Design or photograph with The Pillar, TWU’s popular yearbook. Or get behind the camera with The Reel, an innovative yearbook film project.

17. What’s the best way to send letters and packages to my student?

USA packages and letters must be mailed to TWU's Canadian address (unless the student picks up the package in person). A TWU employee picks up the mail in the US each week but cannot bring packages across the border that are not addressed to them.

Canadian Address: 22500 University Drive Langley, BC   V2Y 1Y1 Canada

Packages sent to the Canadian address are delivered to the mail room and shipping area on campus, where your student will be notified that he or she has a package to pick up. Include the full name of your student and, if possible, their resident housing name and dorm number. The student needs to bring their student ID card to pick up any package. All letters will be sent to their mailbox assigned to them at the Douglas Centre.

18.  Where can I find information about payment dates, end of semester, when the new term begins, etc.?

In the Admissions office or online here.

19. Can I leave my credit card information with the TWU Bookstore?

Yes. There is a form that the student and parent can fill out and sign. When students need to make a purchase, they just need to show their ID.

20.  Where can I find out about TWU online and summer courses?

21.  Where do students go for assistance with student loans and Financial Aid?

Financial Aid in the Mattson Centre. Please contact Dee Loewen, at deirdre.loewen@twu.ca.

22. How can my student find out if the campus is closed due to weather or other emergencies?

Check the Campus Notification page.

23.  How can my resident student obtain telephone and long-distance services for their room?

Most students are using their cell phones; however, they can either buy a landline or bring one to campus and are assigned a phone number. Voice messaging is available to them if they desire to activate it. Long distance is provided through a local telecom network, and students pay a monthly bill to the long-distance provider.

24.  Where can my student go for help with computer setup or troubleshooting?

They can go to the Trinity Western Information Technology office which is located ion the lower floor of Mattson Centre.

25.  Can my student’s special dietary needs be accommodated?

In some cases, a doctor’s note must be submitted regarding special dietary requirements, and Sodexo will take students through the food menu and work with them to make sure they are not at risk with any dietary issues.

26.  When and where are exam schedules posted?

Online and on the Student Portal.

27.  What about transportation to local churches?

Students often find transportation as they get to know other students who own cars, and sometimes through staff, faculty, and people they become familiar with from church. There is also regular transit service stops in front of the Trinity campus.

28. How can I get involved as a parent?

The parent program offers the opportunity to get involved through prayer partners on the parent website. Parents are also encouraged to attend the Orientation Weekend in September when students arrive on campus. There is also Parent Weekend in October that offers visits and free time with your students as well as some activities for parents. Local parents can attend Chapel each day at 11 a.m. in the Enarson Gym, as well as the many Spartan Athletic events held at the Langley Events Centre. TWU has a very talented theatre group and choral concerts that parents may purchase tickets for. Parents are welcome to audition for the choral choir of they are interested.

29. Do students on a varsity team get academic credit for participating on their teams?

Students have the option to sign up for credit for their varsity team, but it’s not automatic. When they do, the rules are: only one per year (worth 1 semester hour each), start with 100-level and work up, and only one may count as a core HKIN activity requirement unless they are HKIN majors (in which case they can count more).