David Erickson, (M.A., M.A.L.) has 15 years of teaching and administrative experience at Trinity Western University in the roles of Associate Dean of the School of Human Kinetics and Physical Education Coordinator. This combines with 23 years of teaching and administrative experience in both public and private K-12 education in a variety of capacities including those as a coach, teacher, physical education specialist, vice principal, principal, and university professor. David has extensive experience in coaching youth sports in both school and community programs and serves on the editorial board of the nationally recognized Physical Health and Education Journal (PHE). David has participated as member of a B.C. Ministry of Education Curriculum Review Committee for the revision of the K-7 physical education curriculum as well as being a reviewer for sport and health related university course textbooks. Additionally, David participates in the annual British Columbia Physical Education and Kinesiology Articulation meetings (BCPEKA) for post-secondary educators in BC.
David’s background and research interests are in the areas of leadership studies, socio-cultural aspects of sport, and physical education pedegogy.
Research & Scholarship
- 2003 – 2017 Editorial Review Board for Physical Health Education (PHE) Journal.
- 2009 Reviewer of McGraw-Hill text by: Fahey, T.D., Insel, P.M., Roth, W.T., & Wong, I. (2007). Fit and Well, Canadian Edition.
- 2007 Reviewer of McGraw-Hill text by: Fahey, T.D., Insel, P.M., Roth, W.T., & Wong, I. (2007). Fit and Well, Canadian Edition.
- 2005 Reviewer for 2nd edition of the McGraw-Hill Ryerson of university course text: Sports in Society: Issues & Controversies, Coakley, J. & Donnelly, P. Responsible for providing a detail review of the 1st Canadian Edition in preparation of the 2nd Canadian edition.
- Erickson, D.N., (2015) Review of Hockey Canada Officiating Program Clinic Presentation Report to BC Hockey Officiating Committee – presented to Officiating committee at the BC Hockey Annual General Meeting May 23, 2015
- Erickson, D. N. (2012). Contributing author to: Movers & Shakers: A Half Century of School Physical Education in British Columbia 1960 – 2010. “A Personal Journey”. Sept. 2012, Physical Education BC.
- Erickson, D. N. (2006). Linking leadership to instruction: A leadership curriculum model for high school. (115 pages) (Unpublished Thesis).
- Erickson, D. N. (2005). The benefits of curriculum deliberation and a model for curriculum leadership. Submitted to the Journal of Staff Development. (Unpublished).
- Erickson, D. N. (2005). Improving professional practice. Submitted to the Educational Leadership Journal. (Unpublished).
- 2014 Nominated for the Trinity Western University Provost Innovative Teaching Award
- 2013 Nominated for the Trinity Western University Davis Distinguished Teaching Award
- 2012 Nominated for the Trinity Western University Rooted and Reaching Award
- 2006 Recipient of the Master of Arts in Leadership, Leadership Award.
- M.A.L. Masters of Arts in Leadership (Trinity Western University)
- M.Ed. Masters of Educational Administration (Western Washington University)
- P.B.D. Post Baccalaureate Diploma (Simon Fraser University)
- B.Ed. Bachelor of Education (University of British Columbia)
- Erickson, D. N. (2004). Creative dance and basketball. Teaching Elementary Physical Education, Mar. 2004, Vol. 15, Issue 2, Human Kinetics Publishers.
Affiliations & Memberships
- British Columbia College of Teachers
- BC Teachers Professional Certificate
- Editorial Review Board - Canadian Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (CAHPERD)
- BC Ministry of Education Physical Education K - 7 Curriculum Review Committee
- HKIN 190 Concepts of Physical Fitness and Wellness
- HKIN 325 Sociology of Sport
- HKIN 350 Teaching Physical Education
- HKIN 351 Leadership and Planning in Human Kinetics
- HKIN 360 Instructional Analysis and Design
- HKIN 490 Philosophical and Ethical Issues in Sport