Tier 1 or Tier 2 Canada Research Chair Stage 1 Call for Proposals
Trinity Western University currently has two vacant CRC Tier 2 Positions that have the possibility to be combined into a single Tier 1 CRC position.
Tier 1 Chairs are for outstanding researchers acknowledged by their peers as world leaders in their fields. Internal Nominees for Tier 1 positions must be full professors, or associate professors who are expected to be promoted to the full professor level within two years of the nomination.
Tier 2 Chairs are for exceptional emerging scholars who are anticipated to be international leaders in their research disciplines within the next decade. This is an exceptional opportunity for a faculty/school to recruit a tenure track faculty member with a particularly strong research profile.
The CRC Steering Committee invites faculties/schools to submit stage 1 proposals maximum two pages in length for either or both of the following:
A. A specific research area of interest for internal/external recruitment to fill a Tier 1 or a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair allocation;
B. An internal candidate to be nominated for a Tier 1 or Tier 2 Canada Research Chair appointment.
It should be noted that this is only the first stage of the process and, after this stage, the successful Faculties/Schools will be invited to work with a nominee to prepare a full nomination proposal for internal review. If the CRC Steering Committee approves the proposal, the nomination (s) would be subsequently submitted to the CRC Secretariat.
Internal Nominees for Tier 2 positions must be emerging scholars. They should, at a minimum, be assistant or associate professors, or possess the necessary qualifications to be appointed at these levels. As nominees for Tier 2 positions must be emerging scholars, universities must justify nominating to a Tier 2 Chair a professor or a researcher who is more than ten years from their highest degree at the time of nomination. Applicants who are more than ten years from having earned their highest degree (and where career breaks exist, such as maternity, parental, or extended sick leave, clinical training, etc.) may have their eligibility for a Tier 2 Chair assessed through the program’s Tier 2 justification process. Please contact the research office (ORGS) for more information. Internal Nominees for Tier 1 Positions must be full professors or associate professors who are expected to be promoted to the full professor level within one or two years of the nomination and who must be “be outstanding and innovative world-class researchers whose accomplishments have made a major impact in their fields”. Please review the guidelines for nominating a chair on the CRC website.
If awarded, the Office of Research & Graduate Studies will work with the Provost and Dean to establish a position description and advertisement that will be posted both internally and externally until a suitable candidate is found (for internal candidates the position must be posted externally for 30 days). The recruitment and advertisement must take into consideration the Canada Research Chairs Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan. The successful applicant will be nominated by the university for either a Tier 1 or Tier 2 CRC. Subject to approval by the CRC Secretariat, the nominee will take up the Chair in either the 2021-22 or 2022-2023 academic year.
Nominees must be proposing “an original, innovative research program of high quality”. The proposed research program for the chair must fall within one of the five research strands identified in Trinity Western University’s Strategic Research Plan: Our vision for 2020 (Note-Senate has recently approved the extension of the SRP to 2022).
- Religion, culture and ethics
- Health and human flourishing
- The environment
- Aesthetic expression and interpretation
- Organizations, industry and global enterprise
Academic units are encouraged to develop an open and transparent process for the generation and adjudication of proposals within the faculty/school, to be forwarded to the steering committee.
Proposals (no more than 2 pages) for either a Tier 1 or Tier 2 Chair should be submitted electronically by the Dean of the Faculty/School to Richard Chandra by 5 pm Friday, February 5, 2021, and should address the following:
- Research area to be supported by the chair and the proposed funding agency (CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC)
- Fit of the proposed chair with the Strategic Research Plan of the university
- Quality of the faculty/school environment to support the chair
- Benefit of the chair to the faculty/school
- Letter of support from the Dean and the Provost. This letter should indicate whether the Faculty/School has received permission to recruit a tenure-track faculty member with a TRS of 50/40/10 at the rank of Assistant or Associate professor for the 2021-22 academic year.
Please refer to Canada Research Chair Program Details for further details.
Applications will be adjudicated by the CRC Steering Committee against the selection criteria of CRC Program and the following criteria specific to the university:
- Impact the chair will have on the faculty/school and the university
- Consistency with the university strategic research plan and that of the academic unit, and the University Strategic Plan
- Fit with the academic unit’s academic plan and academic staffing strategy
- Existing strength within the faculty/school and SRP theme upon which the Chair will build research capacity
- Need for, and opportunity to build, research excellence in the proposed theme; high growth potential
- Potential for collaboration within TWU and/or elsewhere
- Opportunities for the training of Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP: undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, post-doctoral)
- Benefits of a Chair in this research area to Canadians
- Potential of the chair to address Equity Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) issues
- Ability of the Chair to contribute to TWU’s mission