NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA (NSERC) USRA
NEW! INTERNAL APPLICATION Deadline for Summer 2021 EXTENDED TO WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 4:00 P.M.
Applications for Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) must be completed and submitted to the Canadian university where you wish to hold an award through NSERC's On-line System. Selected applications are submitted to NSERC by universities. No applications for university awards may be submitted directly to NSERC.
A student may submit only ONE application to the USRA competition. If a student applies for an NSERC USRA and is not successful, their application will automatically be considered for a TWU USRA.
Amount of Award: $10,200 ($6,000 NSERC funding, plus $4,200 supplemental funding)
Term of Award: 16 consecutive weeks, on a full-time basis (40 hours/week)
Undergraduate Research Conference (UGRC) Requirement: USRA recipients are required to present a project at TWU's annual Undergraduate Research Conference in Spring 2022.
Visit NSERC USRA for full details of the program, including application instructions and eligibility.
- Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and inclusion in your application
- FAQs for applicants and proposed research supervisors
- NSERC USRA program application tutorial video
- NSERC PDF forms & instructions
- NSERC Online Services
REQUIRED Forms & INSTRUCTIONS
- Instructions for Completing an Application - Form 202
- NSERC USRA Research Aptitude 2021. Submit this document directly to the Office of Reserach & Graduate Studies, as per instructions thereon. Do not submit through the NSERC application portal.
- Unofficial Transcripts (2021): For TWU transcripts, download your unofficial transcript from your Student Portal. For transcripts from other academic institutions, follow that institution’s process for downloading an unofficial transcript, and include with your application. Include the Grading Rubric for each separate institution with your submission.
- Finally, forward your reference number to your proposed supervisor.
SUPERVISOR ELIGIBILITY for NSERC USRA: Tenure-track faculty in NSERC eligible disciplines. A supervisor may submit applications to supervise a maximum of two students in the NSERC USRA and TWU USRA combined.
2021 NSERC USRA RECIPIENTS
*2021 USRA Recipients will present their research at TWU's 2022 Undergraduate Research Conference.
|Recipient Name||Supervisor||Research Project|
|Hannah Merritt||David Clements, PhD||Climate effects on aquatic regeneration of knotweed rhizome and stem fragments|
|Holly Horngren-Rhodes||Chad Friesen, PhD||New and directive methodologies towards late-stage fluorination|
|Maria Goncharova||David Clements, PhD||Simulating river conditions to test knotweed hydrochory|
|Keni Hervie||Julia Mills, PhD||ILK and Abl in Cancer Cell Survival and Growth|
|Emmett Balzer||Enrique Torres Giese, PhD||Bidirectional Motion Planning of Spheres|