NATURAL SCIENCES AND ENGINEERING RESEARCH COUNCIL OF CANADA (NSERC) USRA
INTERNAL APPLICATION Deadline for Summer 2021:
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 4:00 P.M.
Applications for Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) must be completed and submitted to the Canadian university where you wish to hold an award through NSERC's On-line System. Selected applications are submitted to NSERC by universities. No applications for university awards may be submitted directly to NSERC.
A student may submit only ONE application to the USRA competition. If a student applies for an NSERC USRA and is not successful, their application will automatically be considered for a TWU USRA.
Amount of Award: $10,200 ($6,000 NSERC funding, plus $4,200 supplemental funding)
Term of Award: 16 consecutive weeks, on a full-time basis (40 hours/week)
Undergraduate Research Conference (UGRC) Requirement: USRA recipients are required to present a project at TWU's annual Undergraduate Research Conference in Spring 2022.
Visit NSERC USRA for full details of the program, including application instrcutions and eligibility.
- Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and inclusion in your application
- FAQs for applicants and proposed research supervisors
- NSERC USRA program application tutorial video
- NSERC PDF forms & instructions
- NSERC Online Services
REQUIRED Forms & INSTRUCTIONS
- Instructions for Completing an Application - Form 202
- NSERC USRA Research Aptitude 2021. Submit this document directly to the Office of Reserach & Graduate Studies, as per instructions thereon. Do not submit through the NSERC application portal.
- Unofficial Transcripts (2021): For TWU transcripts, download your unofficial transcript from your Student Portal. For transcripts from other academic institutions, follow that institution’s process for downloading an unofficial transcript, and include with your application. Include the Grading Rubric for each separate institution with your submission.
- Finally, forward your reference number to your proposed supervisor.
SUPERVISOR ELIGIBILITY for NSERC USRA: Tenure-track faculty in NSERC eligible disciplines. A supervisor may submit applications to supervise a maximum of two students in the NSERC USRA and TWU USRA combined.
*NSERC will be updating its online information in January 2021.
2019 NSERC USRA RECIPIENTS
*2019 USRA Recipients will be presenting their research at TWU's UGRC 2020 on Thursday, April 9th.
|Recipient Name||Supervisor||Research Project|
|Nathan Ahrendt||Sam Pimentel, PhD||Modeling upper ocean temperatures in the Salish Sea|
|Mikayla Bakker||Eve Stringham, PhD||Osmotic stress and pathogen resistance|
|Maria Goncharova||David Clements, PhD||Dispersal, germination, and performance of hybrid knotweed seeds|
|Samuel Louw||Chad Friesen, PhD||Telechelic perfluoropolyalkylethers containing micro-carbon cages|
|Peter Mittermaier||Anita Cote, PhD||Adaptive ventricular-vascular interactions following high-intensity interval training|
|Justin van Heek||Herbert Tsang, PEng, PhD||Design Space Exploration - Understanding Human Movements|