University Week at Camp - Aug 25 - 30, 2017
Get Ahead in University Before You Even Start
Welcome, new incoming class of Fall 2017! For your first experience at TWU, we would like to offer you an unforgettable week at camp. Sign up for University Week at Camp and get to know other students before you attend courses this fall. Since this is your first experience at TWU we will waive the $450 camp fee, plus, you will receive $726 towards your standard tuition—for a total of $1176 in savings.
University Week at Camp is an educational experience like none other. You can have fun, make friends, and earn university credit. Study by the shores of beautiful Lake Okanagan. Canoe, wakeboard, ski and learn while building friendships with your professors and peers. Bring a friend.
Who is it for?
If you are admitted to TWU this fall, either as a new or transfer student, this is a special offer for you. We are also offering this opportunity for grade 11 & 12 students or graduated students but whom have never enrolled at TWU.
$1545 after discounts have been applied. (The regular cost of this course is $2271 plus $450 camp fee.)
Choose one of the following courses:
- FNDN 102 H1 Human Flourishing; 3 sh; with Professor Jack Reimer. For more info see syllabus
- GEOG 131 H1 Global Environmental Issues; 3 sh; with Professor Maxwell Ofosuhene. For more info syllabus
- PHIL 210 H1 Contemporary Ethical Issues; 3 sh; with Professor Tyler Chamberlain. For more info see syllabus
- RELS 271 H1 Western World Religions; 3 sh; with Professor Joanne Pepper. For more info see syllabus
- HIST 136 H1 History of Canada; 3 sh; with Professor Bruce Shelvey. For more info see syllabus
See how these courses count towards a degree at TWU [Degree checklists].
How it works:
· Register for one course
· Complete reading before first class
· Attend morning & evening classes
· Enjoy afternoons at the waterfront
· Assignments due one month later
How to enroll?
Email Jonathan Barkowsky at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop after August 17th = $550 drop fee
- Drop after August 25th = NO refund
- Change fee: There is no charge to change from one course to another.
The week begins with supper at 6pm on Friday and ends Wednesday at 4 pm.
You will meet with your classmates and professor each morning and evening. The afternoons are for enjoying Green Bay’s great waterfront. Camp fee includes five nights' accommodation, three meals per day, and the use of waterfront facilities and equipment (canoes, swimming, & wakeboard/skiing/tubing). Students will be responsible for their own transportation to the camp.
Your food, accommodation and activities at camp are all covered in the fees.
What to Bring
- Bedding (sheets & blanket & pillow for single bed) or sleeping bag
- Towels (shower towel and beach towel)
- Hand towel for your bathroom (there are no towels or paper towels provided in the rooms.
- Soap for bathing plus shampoo.
- Swim suit (modest swim wear, please)
- Appropriate summer clothing (Expect warm weather, but be prepared for possible cooler temperatures.)
- Camera (to capture your memories). For those with a digital camera, we would like to compile a collection of pictures of the week.
- Card/board game. We will have one card/board game evening. Bring your favourite game.
- Bunk style beds
- 4 to 6 people per room
- We will do our best to accommodate one request per person; however, other roommates will be assigned. This makes for a good opportunity to get to know others during the week.
Friday (August 25)
- 4 - 5 pm Arrival & check into room
- 5:30 pm Welcome & Get to Know You
- 6 pm Supper
- 7 - 10 pm Class
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
- 8 am Breakfast
- 9 am - Noon Class
- Noon Lunch
- 1 - 5 pm Free Time
- 5 pm Dinner
- 6 - 9 pm Class
Wednesday (August 30)
- 8 am Breakfast
- 9 am - Noon Class
- Noon Lunch
- 1 - 3 pm Class
- 3 pm Leave for home (dinner on your own)
Free time activities
- Study & informal discussion groups
- Waterfront (choose from swimming, kayaking, or wakeboarding, waterskiing & tubing)
- Gym (shooting hoops - basketball, or ping pong)
- Tennis (bring your own rackets/balls)
- Relaxing in the sun
Please read your books and other required reading before you arrive at the camp. It is very important for this short course that you come with an understanding of the content. It will help in your class discussions, quizzes etc. Check your syllabus for any other instructions or preparation needed.
Please see your syllabus in the course list above.
For text required, please contact the bookstore at 604.513.2005 or purchase books online.
Students will be able to arrange car pool options for rides to the camp.
For Google Maps directions from TWU, click here.
For directions to the camp once in West Kelowna, click here.
This is going to be a great week getting to know other students and professors. There are often spaces available in all of the courses. If you have a friend that might be interested in joining you, please invite them. You'll create lots of memories.
t. 604.513.2121 ext. 3078