ADMISSION AND APPLICATION
Join one of our 2020 MATESOL cohorts -- online or resident!
A bachelor’s degree is typically required for entry into the MATESOL program, though exceptions can be made in extraordinary circumstances. Teaching experience (typically 1-2 years) and completion of pre-requisites for graduate MATESOL courses are important. Other factors which may enhance a candidate’s application include: teaching experience, overseas experience, additional languages studied, and a clear statement of purpose for entering the program.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Any major: Linguistics, English, Communications, Music, Fine Arts, Engineering, etc.)
- Teaching experience in an ESL / EFL classroom — paid or volunteer
- Pre-requisites for graduate courses -- This could be a TESOL / TESL Certificate that includes courses in TESL Methodology, Phonetics, Language & Culture, and Grammar, or undergraduate courses in Linguistics or Education.
- IELTS score of 7.5 on all bands, an iBT score of 105
- 2 references – one academic, one professional
The online application process is free for North American applicants. Go to: Graduate Application
Contact Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the application process.
Online orientation for the online cohort begins May 1, with classes starting early July, so applications for the online program need to be processed soon.
Online orientation for the resident program starts June 1, with classes starting on August 30. Apply soon to have time for degree evaluations and study visa applications if necessary. Contact MATESOLadmin@twu.ca more information.
For both online and residential, priority application deadline is February 28th. Initial admission decisions will be made by March 15.
Applications will be accepted until one month before the start of program orientation:
Online orientation starts May 1, so please submit online program applications by April 1.
Resident orientation starts “online” on June 1, so please submit on campus program applications by May 1.
Apply for financial aid and scholarships by February 28. Two Dean’s Award entry scholarships of $5,000 are available for both online and resident programs. Additional financial aid is also available.