Increasingly, part of a teacher’s responsibility is to create and nurture an inclusive classroom environment—one that enables all students, including those with special needs, to reach their potential.
However, many teachers lack the professional preparation to confidently create this type of classroom environment.
This program prepares you to meet a broad range of special educational needs resulting from students’ cognitive, social, and sensory differences— including those resulting from learning disabilities, emotional disorders, behavioural disorders, giftedness, and developmental delay.
Through the MAES-SPED program, you can:
- Equip yourself to meet the increasingly diverse learning needs of your students
- Become a leader and expert in special education in your school
- Gain the qualifications to become a specialist administrator, such as a director of special needs
- Prepare for a Ph.D. program (should take thesis option)
- Enhance your professional development to be eligible for salary scale increases
TEACHING AS A CALLING:
Ken Pudlas, Ed.D., Director of TWU's Master of Arts in Educational Studies – Special Education talks about the importance of equipping teachers with tools to help special needs children in the classroom.