Clinic Policies


All records within Health Services are confidential. Personal information can only be released outside the Centre with your written consent. Exceptions are only made in the case of life threatening emergencies or as required by law and/or public health regulations.


If you have had an injury or illness that has interfered with your studies, the registrar’s office or a professor may request documentation from your healthcare provider.

A healthcare provider can only document care they have personally provided at the time of illness or injury. If this was a Doctor or nurse at TWU’s Wellness Centre they will usually be able to provide a letter for you. If you received care from other providers, documentation must come from them.

The doctors or nurse at TWU’s Wellness Centre cannot document care they have not provided. They also cannot document nonmedical issues such as a family crisis unless this has had a negative impact on the student’s health in whose care they are involved.

For many common illnesses such as migraines, menstrual cramps or brief “stomach flu”, professional healthcare may not be required. Professors are discouraged from asking students to seek care under such circumstances solely for documentation purposes. This adds to the discomfort of the patient and may unnecessarily expose others to infectious disease.


1)      A student was ill and cared for by their family doctor or a clinic doctor off-campus. Documentation can only be provided by the specific doctor.

2)      A student reports illness or injury that interfered with their studies but was not attended to by any healthcare professional at that time. There is no documentation available in this circumstance.

3)      A student experiences a family or personal crisis that triggers depression, which impairs the student’s cognitive ability. They seek medical and/or counselling care through the Wellness Centre over the course of this illness. As a part of this care the provider may recommend a reduction in course load, which they would provide documentation to support.

4)      A student experiences a family or personal crisis they feel has interfered with their studies. Perhaps they have had to travel home for a period of time because of this. If there has been no healthcare professional involved, then there can be no documentation from a healthcare perspective. Perhaps under some circumstances there may be non-medical documentation that could be provided from other sources.


Some students on campus may require the utilization of syringes due to a medical condition. For the safety of our campus community, it is a requirement that anyone utilizing syringes ensure they are safely disposed of in designated Sharps Containers. These containers are available free of charge to anyone who requests one through TWU’s Wellness Centre. 


For Full Policy Click Here

While the health status information of any student, staff or faculty member is held in the strictest confidence, the University is also committed to protect the health and safety of other community members in our close living, working and teaching environment.

The University, in conjunction with Fraser Health Authority, will give students, staff and faculty appropriate information, as needed, on reportable communicable infections or diseases if there is risk of an exposure.

The University will meet all legal requirements as per Fraser Health Public Health for quarantine or isolation of any student, staff or faculty infected with a contagious disease.

The University recognizes those infected with a communicable disease may benefit from specific medical and counselling care. The university encourages anyone affected by these conditions to access services through their health care provider or the medical and counselling staff in the Wellness Centre on campus. Please contact us with any questions at 604.513.2024.