Study Permit

Trinity Western University partners with BorderPass to provide a streamlined service to students requiring study permits for Canada. BorderPass offers various additional services to assist students throughout their stay in Canada.

Once international students have completed the TWU application and TWU has done a preliminary evaluation, applicants will be given access to BorderPass immigration services for free.  

Please note: If you are working with an educational partner (agent), please skip to step 3.  

*A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. Learn more about the study permit.

Step 1 – Complete the study permit assessment

The first step is to complete an assessment via BorderPass of your probability for receiving a study permit from Immigration Canada. This includes a questionnaire for you to complete along with a request to submit the documents you intend to use for your study permit application. Your information will be reviewed by Canadian immigration lawyers, who will provide an indication of your probability of receiving a study permit from Immigration Canada. You must complete this step if you are not working with an educational partner (agent). Check your email for the questionnaire link and complete it as soon as possible. 

Step 2 – Wait to hear back from TWU

After you complete the questionnaire, Trinity Western University staff will provide you with your next steps based on your assessment score. Please wait to hear from TWU admissions staff before making a deposit. 

Step 3 – Pay the international student deposit 

To proceed, you will need to pay the international student enrolment deposit. This deposit is non-refundable* and signifies your commitment to attend Trinity Western University. The deposit will go towards your tuition fee and is not an additional cost. 

*Deposits will only be refundable in the event that a study permit cannot be obtained.

Step 4 – Receive your TWU Letter of Admission (LOA) and Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) (if applicable)

Once the deposit is paid, you will receive your LOA and PAL (if applicable) from Trinity Western University. You can now begin your study permit application through BorderPass. TWU will provide a code within your LOA to cover the BorderPass fees.

Step 5 – Complete the study permit application  

Our partnership with BorderPass will help make the process of applying for a study permit easier. 

With BorderPass, you will be provided with the following: 

  • A secure online platform for study permit application preparation, review, and filing services. 
  • Expert guidance and legal support—access to trusted Canadian immigration lawyers, who will guide you through the entire application process, ensuring accuracy and compliance with immigration regulations. 
  • Continuous monitoring of visa status, important dates, and immigration documents. 
  • Ongoing benefits: Enjoy additional perks such as ongoing Express Entry score tracking and discounted rates on follow-on visa services. 

To begin your study permit application with BorderPass support, check your email for detailed instructions.   
Find IRCC study permit processing times online. Given the processing times, we strongly recommend accepted applicants apply for their study permits as soon as possible.