Scott Macklin serves as the Executive Director – TWU GLOBAL Online Learning.
Scott creates stories using deep media and can usually be found looking for an espresso. He is an award winning author, interactive designer and multimedia maker. His work focuses on developing narrative-based learning systems and comprehensive strategies to improve education and the ways we can reach and engage our students and constituents. His teaching and scholarship focuses on developing critical career connected pathways. Scott served as the curator of TEDx Seattle, City of Seattle’s Office of Economic Development Commission and currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the Institute of Christian Studies and the Seattle Interactive Conference. You can see his work in action at: http://bit.ly/ScottMacklin
Research & Scholarship
South Africa, 72 min. Open Hand Reel Distributed through H2O Third World Newsreel and Indieflix
Producer, Co-Director, Cinematographer, Editor
Documentary made with contemporary cultural activists and artists in the Nelson Mandela Metro area of South Africa.
USA, 2003, 58 min.
Directed by: Scott Macklin
Documentary made with the Hoh Nation to document the annual canoe journey of First Nations of the Salish Sea.
- Back Stage to a Course: Pulling Back the Curtain to Theory and Practice of Social Media
- Can virtual reality transform your reality? in Crosscut
- Reality blooms in the Creative Exchange Lab in CityArts
- Summer of Transitions: Stories that Matter
- Scott Macklin’s “Top Left” documentary featured in “The Legacy of Seattle Hip-Hop” MOHAI exhibit
- Hack-a-thon meets design to tackle ocean climate change communication strategies
- Immersive Storytelling: Moving from Transmission to Transaction
- Video Summer: Scott Macklin Lends Media Storytelling Skills to Youth Mentorship Projects Big and Small
- Discovering Obumu through Hip-Hop: Scott Macklin Teach Media Skills Workshop in Uganda and Beyond
- Death Over Dinner Convenes as Hundreds of Americans Coordinate End of Life Discussions Across U.S.
- Charettes: Jump on This Cart with Your Transmedia Story
- Scott Macklin does ‘deep hanging out’ with Fandango Movement
- Sounds Beyond Barriers
- MCDM Associate Director receives award for community service in the realm of hip-hop
- Every story has a neighborhood, every neighborhood has a story
- Tellies finally in hand
Scott holds a B.A. from Vanguard University (Summa Cum Laude and Honors), and an M Phil. from the Institute for Christian Studies, Toronto, Canada. He is currently a PhD student (ABD) at Nelson Mandel University.
Awards & Honors
- King County Executive’s Award for Excellence in Community Service
“Utilizing narrative and social platforms as powerful tools for engagement and producing impacts that matter.”
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly contribution of the Year Award
- Telly Award – Honoring excellence in video and television across all screens
“Media Space: Entertainment and Content”
- Exchanges Connect Award – U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
"My Culture + Your Culture"
Affiliations & Memberships
- Board of Trustees – Institute for Christian Studies
- Advisory Board of the Seattle Interactive Conference
- City of Seattle’s Music and Art Commission Community and Youth Development committee
- Curator TEDx Seattle
- Chair of the EDUCAUSE Systemic Progress in Teaching and Learning Award Committee
- VP of Education for the Society of Information Management Executive Board
Scott is a community-centric leader with experience developing story-based learning systems and comprehensive strategies to improve education and development. He has an ability to lead subject matter experts in the design and actualization of competency-based courses and web-based offerings with connected content. Scott has a passion for ensuring diversity, social equity, and access to educational opportunities. He serves as a leading change agent for organizations undergoing transitions and reorganization initiatives.
- MCOM 372 Intercultural Communication
- MCOM 313 Theory and Practice of Social Media