The Department of Chemistry provides undergraduates with a chance to collaborate with TWU Faculty in research at the cutting edge of the chemical sciences. Participating in a research project is an excellent way to experience the excitement of discovery and to further develop your curriculum vitae, making you a competitive graduate. In addition, the Department of Chemistry provides an opportunity to develop closer relationships with faculty, staff and students by being involved in chemical preparation, laboratory development projects and undergraduate teaching positions. Since we have a smaller student population, you have a much greater opportunity to be involved in the Department, provided you demonstrate a level of excellence.
What opportunities are available to undergraduate students?
The Department of Chemistry is pleased to offer summer research opportunities for outstanding undergraduate students. These awards are meant to stimulate interest in research in chemistry, and to provide opportunities to gain research experience in an academic setting. Awardees will receive financial support to conduct research during the summer months under the guidance of a Department of Chemistry faculty member who holds an NSERC research grant.
To be eligible to apply for an award, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Be registered (at the time you apply) in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university.
- Have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative B average or above.
- Have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree.
- Not have started a graduate studies program.